Painting the Town...

"So," Ruby said, "you're a terminator, too?"

Penny looked at Ruby confused. "What's a... 'terminator'?"

"You know," Ruby said. "A robot with human skin. (Y/N) is a terminator."

Penny looked at (Y/N). "I guess that explains the monotone voice. But I'm not a 'terminator'. My purpose isn't to 'terminate'."

"Well neither is (Y/N)'s," Ruby said. "His purpose is to protect me."

"Nobody ever referred to me as a 'terminator'," Penny said. "They call me the world's first synthetic person capable of generating an aura. They say I'm not real..."

Ruby took Penny's hands, smiling. "Of course you are. You think just because you've got nuts and bolts instead of squishy guts makes you any less real than me?"

"I don't... um..." Penny leaned in close. "You're... taking this extraordinarily well."

"You're not like those things we saw back there," Ruby said. She tapped Penny's chest. "You show way more emotions than (Y/N), and I know he has feelings. I know he has a heart and a soul, even if he doesn't behave like he has one. You've got a heart, and a soul, too! I can feel it!"

"Ooohh... oh Ruby!" Penny pulled Ruby into a hug. "You're the best friend anyone could have!"

"I can see why your father would want to protect such a delicate flower!" Ruby said through Penny's arms.

Penny released Ruby. "Oh, he's very sweet! My father's the one that built me! I'm sure you would love him!"

"Wow," Ruby said. "He built you all by himself?"

"Well, almost!" Penny said. "He had some help from Mr. Ironwood."

"The General?!" Ruby said.

"Correct," (Y/N) confirmed.

"Wait," Ruby said, turning back to Penny. "Is that why those soldiers were after you?"

"They like to protect me, too!" Penny said.

Ruby scoffed. "They don't think you can protect yourself?"

"They're not sure if I'm ready yet," Penny said. "One day, it will be my job to save the world, but I still have a lot left to learn. That's why my father let me come to the Vytal Festival. I want to see what it's like in the rest of the world, and test myself in the Tournament."

"Penny, what are you talking about?" Ruby said. "Save the world from what? We're in a time of peace!"

"That's not what Mr. Ironwood said," Penny said.

Then, they heard a voice. "Check down here!"

"You have to hide!" Penny said. She turned to (Y/N). "(Y/N)! Put Ruby and yourself in that dumpster!"

"No!" Ruby said to (Y/N), turning to Penny. "Penny, wait! You don't have to go with them! I can help you!"

"It's okay, Ruby," Penny reassured. "They're not bad people; I just don't want to get you in trouble. Just promise me you won't tell anyone else my secret. Okay?"

"I promise," Ruby nodded. "Come on, (Y/N)!"

Ruby took (Y/N)'s hand and quickly ran into the dumpster with him.

"There she is!" an officer said as he spotted Penny.

"Sal-u-tations, officers!" Penny said.

"Why were you running?" the soldier said. "And what happened to the other girl?"