Burning the Candle

Ruby watched as (Y/N) was helping with decorating for the dance.

She'd started to notice him distancing himself from her more often. He was always in the same room as her, unless she needed her privacy. But he no longer stuck right next to her like he used to. When she'd met him, Ruby never thought she'd miss him staying by her all the time. But now that he was fine with distancing himself from her, she started to wonder if the personality he was gaining would lead to him abandoning her. The thought of it hurt her deeply.

Her thoughts were interrupted when Weiss placed two white tablecloths in front of her.

"I need you to pick a tablecloth," she said, sliding the tablecloth to her.

Ruby stared at them for a second. "Aren't they both the same?"

Weiss sighed. "I don't even know why I asked!"

She walked away. Ruby rested her heads in her arms, watching (Y/N) as Yang placed a huge sound speaker down near her. She walked over to her, brushing her hands, before placing them on her hips.

"So, have you picked out a dress yet?" she asked.

"What's the point?" Ruby asked. "Who cares about the dance if Blake isn't going?"

"Oh, don't worry," Yang said. "She's going." She turned to Weiss. "Weiss! I thought we agreed: No doilies!"

Weiss stepped up in front of Yang. "If I don't get doilies, you don't get fog machines!" She turned back to (Y/N). "Just keep working! Don't listen to her!"

She was interrupted when Sun and Neptune walked in.

"Your dance is gonna have fog machines?" Neptune said.

Weiss stepped up to him. "We were thinking about it."

"That's pretty cool," Neptune said.

"You ladies all excited for dress-up?" Sun said.

Ruby glanced at (Y/N), who stepped up next to her. "Pfft... Yeah, right!"

"Laugh all you want," Yang said. "I'll be turning heads tomorrow night!"

"You don't need to try to do that," (Y/N) said.

Yang and Ruby turned to him, jaws dropped, and Yang blushing.

"Is that supposed to mean something?" Yang smirked.

"I'm only stating facts," (Y/N) said.

Ruby felt a sting of jealousy inside. Was (Y/N)'s personality giving him a crush on Yang? Or was he really just stating facts?

"Keep talking like that and maybe I'll steal you from Ruby," Yang teased.

Ruby slammed her head against the table in frustration.

"What are you two wearing?" Weiss asked, ignoring the conversation that had just taken place.

"Uuhhh... this?" Sun gestured to his current outfit.

"Ignore him for he knows not what he says," Neptune said

"Hey, I may have moved to Mistral, but I grew up in Vacuo," Sun said. "It's not exactly a shirt-and-tie kind of place."

"Yeah, we noticed," Yang said.

"Soooo... what does Blake think of all this?" Sun asked. "She still being all, y'know... Blake-y?"

"Obviously," Weiss said, crossing her arms.

"'Blake-y' isn't a word," (Y/N) said.

"I still can't think of a way to change her mind," Ruby mumbled.