Fall

(Y/N) and Ruby could see Cinder with an evil smirk in her seat not too far from them.

Ruby scowled.

"I hate having to sit around doing nothing knowing she's going to destroy Beacon any moment now," she growled.

"We're already stopping them," (Y/N) said.

Ruby turned to him. "What do you mean?"

"You'll see," (Y/N) said.

"Now, for the moment you've all been waiting for!" Port's voice came over the speakers. "The one-on-one finals!"

On the center of the arena was the final contestants. Pyrrha was on the far right. Ruby, being much more observant than usual due to the coming attack, noticed a troubled look on her face.

"What's wrong with Pyrrha?" Ruby asked.

"If my knowledge of the history is correct, Ozpin had something to say to her," he said. "It's left her conflicted on what she should do."

Ruby looked at Pyrrha with much concern.

"Barty, why don't you explain the rules?" Port said to Oobleck.

"Ah, it's quite simple, Peter," Oobleck said. "Instead of a bracket system, each round of the finals will be randomly determined immediately before the match takes place!"

"Much like any good hunt, there will be zero time to prepare!" Port said.

"Ah, yes, yes!" Oobleck said. "Now, let's see who our first match will be!"

The screen started spinning, and the results made Ruby's heart drop.

"Yang Xiao Long and Mercury Black!" Port said.

Cinder noticed the horrified look on Ruby's face. She smiled, knowing Ruby would take this as a message. She's already planned what was going to happen, but hopefully this would teach her not to try anything.

"No... not Yang..." Ruby said.

"She'll be alright," (Y/N) said.

"You don't know that!" Ruby said.

"I'm sure she can handle herself," (Y/N) said.

Ruby turned to the arena, and cupped her hands to her mouth to call to her sister. "Break a leg, sis! LITERALLY!!!"

She turned to see a still smiling Cinder, glaring right at her, standing up, and walking away.

"Would all other combatants please leave the stage?" Port said.

Ends at 2:10 (Right after Yang defeats Mercury)

Yang sighed relief.

"What a way to kick off the finals!" Port said.

Yang lifted a fist in victory, as the stage lowered.

"Yang Xiao Long wins!" Oobleck said.

Ruby sighed in relief. "I would've preferred it if she broke his legs, but at least she's okay."

"This is where things get worse," (Y/N) said.

Ruby turned to him. "What?! What do we do?!"

"Pray," (Y/N) said.

"Better luck next time," Yang said to Mercury.

She turned, and started to leave. But, the next words that came out of Mercury's mouth caused her to stop dead in her tracks.

"There's not going to be a next time, Blondie!"

Yang turned back to him. He leapt into the air, swinging his foot directly at Yang. She didn't understand what he was doing the match was already over. Still, she knew how to get him off her back. She clenched her fist, waiting for him to get close enough. Then, just as Mercury's foot was about to collide with her face...

She stepped aside.

Yang watched as Mercury flew past her, only to vanish into thin air. She scowled as she realized what had happened, and turned back to see the real Mercury standing behind her, jaw dropped.

"How... How did you...?"

"Pretty smart, I'll admit," Yang said. "Don't worry. Your secret's safe. For now."

And with that, she walked off.

Not too long later, Team RWBY+T was in their dorm, Yang explaining the whole thing to them.

"How did you know it wasn't the real Mercury?" Weiss asked.

"Well, (Y/N) told me something before the match," she said. "He said, 'Not everything is as it seems. Sometimes it's better to step aside than to attack.' I was confused at first, but when Mercury did something that stupid, attack me in front of an entire crowd, I thought I figured out what he meant. And I was right. But how did I see Mercury attack me when he wasn't?"

"Emerald's semblance is hallucinations," (Y/N) said.

"But I don't understand," Ruby said. "What would they have to gain by framing Yang?"

"Two things," (Y/N) said. "One: To paint Beacon in a bad light. Make people question what they're teaching. Two: They've probably caught on to us at this point. They may be sending a message."

Ruby's scowl returned. "They're getting too close to their objective. We have to stop them!"

"There is no stopping their plan," (Y/N) said. "All we can do is keep the situation under control, save anyone who will be killed, and keep them from framing Beacon or Atlas."

Ruby nodded. "Sounds good."

Yang lowered her head. "This explains so much... Why you never liked Emerald or Mercury..."

"But there's one more thing," Ruby said. "When I was leaving class one day, I heard them say something about figuring out what to do with (Y/N)."

She looked up at her terminator, with a scared expression on her face.

"(Y/N)... I think they're going to kill you..."