𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

CHAPTER TWELVE:LITTLE RED WAGON

CHAPTER TWELVE:
LITTLE RED WAGON

     "THE FUTURE." EVELYN MOCKED, ROLLING her eyes. Celeste chuckled in amusement as the two stood there, waiting for Steve and Bucky. "What a bunch of bullshit." Evelyn then spotted Bucky, causing her to let out a huff. "Finally."

     "Someone's in a mood today." Celeste said with a smile as the two joined her. Celeste smiled at Bucky, taking a moment to look at him in his uniform. "Don't you look all dressed up." Bucky smiled at the blonde and gave her a kiss on the cheek before wrapping an arm around her shoulders whilst Celeste tried to hide her blush causing Evelyn to smirk.

     "Oh, there was two girl's here waiting for you, but I ran them off." Evelyn answered with a shrug. She then looked towards her brother before saying, "Sorry for your date that you were probably going to bail on anyways."

     "Thanks, sis." Steve smiled and Evelyn only smirked in response before hooking her arm with her brother's.

     "Welcome to the Modern Marvels Paviliion and the World of Tomorrow. A greater world. A better world." Evelyn mocked every word the announcer spoke and Celeste chuckled in amusement whilst Bucky and Steve just exchanged looks with one another. To say Evelyn didn't believe in things until they happened would be an understatement.  They walked throughout the exhibit before a woman's voice grabbed their attention.

     "Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Howard Stark!"

     Howard Stark stepped up onto the stage, a smile on his face as he kissed the woman on the lips that had announced his entrance. He then turned to the crowd, standing in front of car that was placed behind him. "Ladies and gentlemen, what if I told you that in just a few short years, your automobile won't even have to touch the ground at all."

     "I'd call bullshit." Evelyn sarcastically smiled.

     "You're having all the fun in the world, aren't you?" Celeste chuckled.

     "Me and the future don't go hand in hand."

     They watched as the wheels were removed from the vehicle and Howard had a small machine placed in front of him, his microphone still in hand. "With Stark robotic reversion technology, you'll be able to do just that." Howard turned a dial before using a lever that allowed for the car to start levitating on its own. Evelyn's eyebrows rose in surprise.

     "Holy cow." Bucky whispered.

     "Holy cow indeed." Celeste nodded, impressed. But that's when the car started sparking before it slammed down to the ground, causing gasps to burst from the crowd. Though, Howard only smiled at this and shrugged his shoulders.

     "I did say a few years, didn't I?"

     "Well I'll be damned." Evelyn chuckled, clapping along with the rest of the crowd. "Howard might actually be doing something successful for once in his rich life. What do you think, Steve? Think Stark can pull it off?" She turned to look at her brother only to find him no longer standing there. She suddenly panicked, snapping her head around in confusion. "Steve?" This grabbed Bucky's and Celeste's attention.

     "I'll go find him." Bucky told her.

     "I'm coming with you. You aren't going to yell at him, so I will." Evelyn answered.

     "And I will wait outside for you." Celeste spoke and the duo nodded before entering the building in which they knew Steve was in. They watched as he stepped on the light in front of the mirror, only for him to be too short to fill out the face. Evelyn frowned whilst Bucky shoved his shoulder.

     "Come on. You're kind of missing the point of hanging out with our friends. We're going to take Eve and Celeste dancing."

     "Oh, and who would I be dancing with?" Evelyn questioned with a raised eyebrows, though she had an amused smile on her face. "Hey, if you don't hurry up, I might just be the one taking Celeste dancing."

     "You two go ahead. I'll catch up with you." Steve waved them off, causing the duo to exchange looks. Evelyn closed her eyes as she looked down to the ground, her arms crossing over her chest.

     Bucky sighed. "You're really gonna do this again?"

     "Well, it's a fair. I'm gonna try my luck."

     "As who?" Evelyn snapped, meeting her brother's eyes. "Steve from Ohio? They'll catch you. Or worse, they'll actually take you. You're the only family I have left, I can't lose you too."

     "Look, I know you don't think I can do this." Steve started.

     "You're right, I don't." Evelyn took a step towards her brother. "Steve, this isn't a damn back alley where Bucky or I can come in to save you. It's a war where people die and they don't come back!"

     "She's right, Steve." Bucky told him.

     "I know it's a war. You don't have to tell me."

     "Why are you so keen to fight? There are so many important jobs." Bucky questioned him, and Evelyn wanted to know the same thing.

     "What am I gonna do? Collect scrap metal. . ."

      "Yes!" The duo exclaimed.

     ". . . in my little red wagon."

     "Why not?" Bucky shrugged.

     "I'm not gonna sit in a factory, Bucky."

     "I don't―︎"

     "Bucky, come on! There are men laying down their lives. I got no right to do any less than them. That's what you don't understand. This isn't about me."

     "Right. Cause you got nothing to prove."

     "You want to be like dad. That's what this is." Evelyn spoke in disbelief and tears came to her eyes but she was quick to shake her head and blink them away. "There's nothing more important than you being alive, Steven. And it makes me upset that you think you have to prove yourself to me, to Bucky, because you don't. We love you the way you are, alright? And I'd prefer alive Steve than a dead Steve." She pushed a hair from her face. "Celeste is waiting for us."

     Bucky glanced towards Celeste who patiently stood there, smiling at anyone that passed her before looking back towards Steve. "Don't do anything stupid until I get back."

     "How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you." Evelyn's lip twitched upwards at the exchange.

     "You're a punk." He then walked forward and gave Steve a hug.

     "Jerk." Steve responded before pulling away. "Be careful." Bucky walked away and Steve was quick to call out to him. "Don't win the war till I get there!"

     Evelyn sighed before offering her brother a smile and hugging him before giving him a kiss on the cheek. "I love you. And I'm not trying to be an ass on purpose, I just worry about you."

     "I know. I love you too. Have fun."

     "Always." She gave her brother a small salute and he smiled before watching her walk away.

" She gave her brother a small salute and he smiled before watching her walk away