𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫

CHAPTER FOUR:WORRY

CHAPTER FOUR:
WORRY

EVELYN ROGERS STOOD THERE, LOOKING out of her window and watching as people walked by. Her arms were crossed over her chest as she nervously bit her lip. It was a known fact that tuberculosis was only growing worse and worse, and that there was no chance of it going away any time soon. Evelyn was patiently waiting for her mother to come home, hoping and praying that her mother would come home and be alright.

Steve entered his home after strolling around the town with Bucky, curious as to exactly where it was that Evelyn had been. She never denied going out, she enjoyed it and deemed it was her favorite part of the day. But today was different, and Steve wanted to know why. He walked towards her room, glancing inside to see her standing there at the window, worry clearly etched onto her face.

"Evelyn?" Steve asked. The blonde finally tore her attention away from the window, looking at her brother and offering him a small smile before turning away once more.

"Hey, Steve." Evelyn responded.

"Is everything alright?" Steve questioned, entering the girls room and stopping a few feet away from her, a small frown covering his face.

"Everything's fine." Evelyn nodded, giving him another small smile. "Why do you ask?"

"You look worried. And you didn't come out with me and Bucky today." Steve explained to her. Evelyn's lip twitched upwards for a moment, shaking her head slightly.

"You notice everything, don't you?" Evelyn asked, a soft chuckle falling from her lips.

"When it involves my sister, I do." Steve nodded his head. The blonde sighed before turning away from the window and walking over to her bed. She sat down on the edge of it, allowing Steve to take a seat beside of her. It was true that she was worried. She had a bad feeling stirring in her stomach, one that made her shift uncomfortably. She felt sick, almost. Evelyn glanced at her brother for a moment before glancing around the room.

"I'm just worried is all." Evelyn simply answered her brother.

"About what?"

Evelyn just shook her head in response. "It's nothing. Don't worry about it alright? Just me overthinking as per usual." She gave her brother a pat on the shoulder, offering him a smile. She then narrowed her eyes at him, scanning his face for a moment. "Oh, Steve. Please don't tell me you left Bucky just to come check up on me."

The boy shrugged his shoulders in response, offering her a sheepish smile. "I just wanted to make sure you were alright. Bucky had to go anyways, apparently he met someone."

"What happened with Dot?" Evelyn quizzed, frowning slightly at this. Steve shrugged his shoulders.

"Don't know. I think that was a one time thing. Bucky said that we would get the chance to meet the girl soon." Steve informed her. Evelyn nodded her head in response before letting a soft sigh fall from her lips. That was when a knock fell on their door, making the two siblings glance up towards the door before looking at one another, silently asking a question only for them both not to know who it was that was at their door.

Evelyn stood up, Steve following behind his sister and watching as she approached the front door. She listened as they knocked on the door again, her hand hovering over the doorknob as she listened to the knocks. She softly sighed to herself before twisting the doorknob and pulling the door open. She frowned slightly when she saw an officer standing there, making the blonde furrow her eyebrows. Evelyn watched as the officer looked between herself and Steve, making the blonde cock an eyebrow.

"Officer, can I help you?" Evelyn questioned, her hand holding the edge of the door frame as she patiently waited for the officer to answer her. His eyes met her and she stood there, waiting impatiently.

"Are you Evelyn and Steven Rogers?" The officer questioned.

"Yes." Evelyn nodded, sparing a glance with her brother before looking back towards the officer.

"Your mother, Sarah Rogers?" The officer asked once more. The two siblings nodded their heads in response. "I'm sad to inform you that your mother has caught a bad case of tuberculosis." Evelyn's breath caught in her throat, that churning feeling in her stomach growing worse and worse by the second.

"What? Is she―︎is she alright?" Evelyn quickly stuttered out.

"She's being treated at the hospital she works at." The officer told her. "She'll be sent home in a few days. But they told me she had two children, so I thought I'd stop by and tell you the news so that you wouldn't worry about her whereabouts."

"That was awfully kind of you." Evelyn responded, a frown still on her face. "Thanks for letting us know." The officer opened his mouth once more, but Evelyn was quick to shut the door in his face. She looked at Steve for a moment before quickly walking past him, and entering her bedroom, closing the door before he could follow after her.

 She looked at Steve for a moment before quickly walking past him, and entering her bedroom, closing the door before he could follow after her