𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:FAITH

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:
FAITH

EVELYN HAD BEEN RIGHT WHEN she said that she was going to lose sleep. In fact, she hadn't gotten a wink of sleep since Steve and Celeste left. She was worried about her brother and her newly acquainted friend. Peggy was worried about the female, walking over to her and handing her a cup of coffee. Evelyn glanced up at the brunette before accepting it.

     "Thanks." Evelyn whispered, immediately bringing the cup to her lips.

     "How are you doing?" Peggy questioned the blonde as she sat down beside of her, turning her head to look directly at Evelyn. Evelyn placed the cup down and fiddled with it as she bit her lip and shrugged her shoulders. Peggy knew how much the woman was worrying herself, and she wished that Steve would get in contact with them. She didn't like seeing Evelyn like this. "Hey," Peggy placed a hand over Evelyn's, causing the blonde to freeze as she looked at Peggy. "They're alright. I have faith that they'll come back to us alive."

     "I hope you're right." Evelyn responded, shaking her head. "I can't lose my brother. He's all I have left."

     "And you won't." Peggy assured the female. "Come on." She stood up and Evelyn looked at her before softly sighing and standing up, joining Peggy's side as the two walked towards the tent where Phillips was, stopping as they heard him speak.

     "Senator Brandt, I regret to report that Captain Steve G. Rogers went missing behind enemy lines on the third. Aerial reconnaissance has proven unfruitful. As a result, I must declare Captain Rogers killed in action. Period." Evelyn froze, her heart stopped in her chest and she felt tears start to form in her eyes, but she tried to blink them away as Peggy got the man's attention.

     "The last surveillance flight is back." Peggy told the man, handing him photos. "No sign of activity." Evelyn closed her eyes, and her stomach churned. She felt like she was going to be sick. Her brother couldn't be dead, she refused to believe that. 

     "Go get a cup of coffee, Corporal." Phillips ordered. The man nodded before quickly leaving the tent. Evelyn took a breath before forcing herself to join Peggy's side. "I can't touch Stark. He's rich and he's the Army's number one weapons contractor. You two are neither one."

     "With respect, sir, I don't regret my actions. Neither does Agent Rogers." Peggy spoke for the both of them and Evelyn nodded her head in agreement. "And I don't think Captain Rogers did, either."

     "What makes you think I give a damn about your opinions?" Phillips snapped. "I took a chance with you, Agent Carter, Rogers. And now America's golden boy and a lot of other good men are dead 'cause you had a crush."

     "It wasn't that." Peggy denied. "It was faith."

     "He's my brother, sir, and I trust him. So I did what I had to in order to be there for him." Evelyn looked the man directly in the eyes as she said this. She didn't regret her actions, and she wanted Phillips to know that, even if her brother hadn't made it in the end.

     "Well, I hope that's a big comfort to you when they shut this division down." Phillips looked between the two. That's when a ruckus could be heard outside, men were running all directions causing Peggy and Evelyn to glance at one another before following Phillips as he walked out of the tent. They stood there, watching as the men quickly made a path.

     "Oh my God." Evelyn whispered as a wide smile fell on her face. There was her brother, with Bucky right by his side along with Celeste and all of the other men that had been taken prisoner. They marched their way into the camp, guns in their hands with some of them using tanks as a ride. Steve stopped right in front of Phillips.

     Steve gave him a salute. "Some of these men need medical attention." Colonel Phillips looked towards one of the medics and the man immediately started rounding the wounded up. "I'd like to surrender myself for disciplinary action."

     "That won't be necessary."

     Steve looked at him before nodding his head. "Yes, sir."

     Phillips turned towards Peggy before saying, "Faith, huh?"

     Evelyn was quick to go up to her brother and pulled him in for a hug to which he gladly hugged her back. She pulled away before punching him in the arm. "What the hell, Steve? I've been waiting days for your call."

     He held up the destroyed transponder before shrugging. "Couldn't call my ride." Evelyn scoffed and rolled her eyes before the siblings exchanged a hug once more.

     "Hey!" Bucky called. "Let's give it up for Captain America." The men all cheered and Evelyn smiled before making her way over towards Celeste and pulling the angel in for a hug.

     "I'm so glad you're okay." Evelyn whispered.

     "Me too." Celeste nodded, squeezing her a little tighter before pulling away and offering her a small smile before watching as Celeste turned towards Bucky. Evelyn watched the two exchange a few words before suddenly they kissed. A smirk formed onto Evelyn's face as she quickly turned back towards her brother, glad to know that he was home and that he was safe.

━︎━︎━︎━︎━︎

     Evelyn, Celeste, and Peggy all stood there, watching as Steve pointed out all of the other bases that he managed to find out on the map. He managed to point out six of them on the map before looking at the three women who were looking at him with surprise. He shrugged. "I just got a quick look."

     "Well, nobody's perfect." Peggy answered before walking away. Evelyn looked at her brother and just rose an eyebrow. He sent her a small smile before Celeste, Evelyn, and Steve all made their way to the table where the map now laid out with tiny structures of the bases and the possibility of where they would be at.

     "These are the weapon factories we know about." Steve started. "Sergeant Barnes said that HYDRA shipped all the parts to another facility that isn't on this map."

     "Agent Carter, coordinate with MI6. I want every allied eyeball looking for that main HYDRA base."

     "What about us?" Evelyn questioned.

     "We are going to set a fire under Johann Schmidt's ass." He was handed a paper by a blonde woman who seemed to have bored look on her face. "What do you say, Rogers? It's your map. You think you can wipe HYDRA off of it?"

     "Yes, sir." Steve nodded. "I'll need a team."

     "We're already putting together the best men."

     That's when Steve and Celeste exchanged looks with one another before Steve turned back towards Phillips and said, "With all due respect, sir, so am I."

"