𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:VIBRANIUM

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:
VIBRANIUM

THE THREE WOMEN MADE THEIR way to the bar, and Evelyn found herself struggling to keep her eyes off of Peggy. She had to admit that the woman looked drop dead gorgeous in the red dress she was wearing. Evelyn was wearing a blue dress whilst Celeste went with a soft lilac color that made her look so innocent. The three women entered the bar, glancing around when all of the men seemed to quiet down when they saw them. Evelyn smirked before spotting her brother and walking towards him with Peggy and Celeste following after her.

     "Eve, Celeste, Agent Carter." Steve greeted him as he and Bucky stood a little straighter at the sight of the women.

     "Howard has some equipment for you to try." Peggy told the man. Evelyn looked between Peggy and her brother, watching the look that passed between them. Her heart seemed to ache a little, but she couldn't blame her brother for liking the agent. He wasn't the only one. Evelyn glanced towards Bucky and Celeste, the new couple smiling at one another as they talked. Evelyn suddenly felt alone.

     "Tomorrow morning?" Evelyn asked her brother.

     Steve nodded. "Sounds good."

     Peggy glanced towards the group of men that Steve had rescued, those men happening to be the ones he was taking with him along with Bucky and Celeste. Peggy turned back towards Steve. "I see your top squad is prepping for duty."

     "You don't like music?" This came from Bucky.

     "I do, actually." Peggy answered. "I might even, when this is all over, go dancing."

     "Well, what are you waiting for?" Evelyn asked, wondering where the sudden irritation was coming from. Celeste raised an eyebrow at the girl.

     Peggy didn't move her gaze from Steve as she answered, "The right partner. 0800 Captain." And then she walked away.

     "Yes ma'am. I'll be there." Steve called.

     Evelyn found herself clenching her jaw, her eyebrows furrowed as she tried to figure out why she felt so angry as she watched her brother and Peggy talk to one another. Was she. . . jealous? There was no way. She refused to believe it. Instead she softly sighed before looking at Celeste. "You coming?"

     Celeste looked up at Bucky before smiling as she looked towards Evelyn. "I think I might dance for a little while."

     "After you m'lady." Bucky told her.

     "I'll see you before we leave." Evelyn nodded her head before watching as the couple moved to the dance floor, dancing with one another. Evelyn couldn't help but sadly smile as she watched the couple, silently wishing she could have something like that.

     "Eve, everything alright?" Steve snapped Evelyn from her gaze. She blinked, looking up at him and noticing the concerned look on his face. Evelyn softly sighed, smiled, and nodded her head.

     "Just tired and worried, that's all."

     "Why don't you go get some rest." Steve told her. "I'll see you in the morning." Evelyn nodded before giving her brother a hug and kiss on the cheek before making her way out of the bar.

The next morning Evelyn stood there, her arms crossed over her chest as she watched as Howard tested something that she couldn't see before it exploded, sending him half way across the room. She laughed, quickly covering her mouth when receiving a look from the man. He stood up, wiping the glass off of his coat as he made his way over towards the female.

     "Shouldn't you be with your brother, Evelyn?" Howard hummed, Evelyn hooking her arm with his as they walked out of the room.

     "Probably." Evelyn replied. "But watching you be sent across the room is the best entertainment that I could ever ask for."

     "Haha." Stark mocked, narrowing his eyes at the girl. She laughed again before removing her arm from his and entering the room in which all of the weapons were that Howard wanted her brother to try out. She smiled at Peggy who was standing in there, watching as the agents and scientists got everything gathered before Peggy was sent out to go grab Steve. Evelyn glanced up when Howard and Steve entered the room talking about something else before making their way towards one of the weapons where Evelyn was standing.

     "Carbon polymer." Howard said. "Should withstand your average German bayonet. Although HYDRA's not going to attack you with a pocket knife." He moved to Steve's old shield. "I hear you're kind of attached."

     "It's handier than you might think." Steve replied.

     "I took the liberty of coming up with some options." Howard told him, showing him different kinds of shields. "This ones fun. She's been fitted with electrical relays that allow you to―︎"

     "What about this one?" Steve bent down before picking up a circle shaped metal shield, holding it in front of him.

     "No, no, that's just a prototype." Howard denied.

     "What's it made of?"

     "Vibranium. It's stronger than steel and a third the weight. It's completely vibration absorbent." Evelyn watched as her brother fitted the shield on his arm, holding it in front of him before examining it.

     "How come it's not standard issue?"

     "That's the rarest metal on earth," was Stark's answer. "What you're holding there, that's all we've got."

     "You quite finished, Mr. Stark?" Peggy's voice entered the room, causing the three to turn and look at her. "I'm sure the Captain has some unfinished business." Evelyn crossed her arms over her chest and rose her eyebrows as she looked at her brother.

     Steve smiled, holding the shield in front of him. "What do you think?"

     Peggy looked at him for a moment before picking up a gun and shooting at the shield four times, causing everyone to duck as the bullet's hit the metal, barely making a mark. Peggy smiled as a sarcastic smile fell on her lips. "Yes, I think it works." She put the gun down before walking away and Evelyn stifled a laugh at the shocked looks on Howard and Steve's faces.

     Without looking away from the direction Peggy had gone, Steve handed Stark a paper. "I had some ideas about the uniform."

     "Whatever you want, pal." Evelyn laughed again, shaking her head before patting her brother on the shoulder and walking past him, and in the same direction Peggy had gone.

" Evelyn laughed again, shaking her head before patting her brother on the shoulder and walking past him, and in the same direction Peggy had gone