Chapter 2

The Kayi Tribe

The Kayis were migrating to a new land before Winter and had just stopped for the night. The Kayi alps patrolled the area while families ate or slept. Ertugrul Bey and his family sat in the centre enjoying their evening meal, when suddenly they were interrupted by a worried-looking Abdurrahman Alp.

Ertugrul

I sat with my mother, Halime, my big brother Gundogdu, my sister in law Selçan and my little brother Dundar to eat our evening meal. We had just began when Abdurrahman ran towards us. "My Bey, a pigeon has arrived with a message but there is no name of who it's from or where it has been sent from" he panted out after handing me a small scroll of parchment.

I opened it and read aloud "Ertugrul Bey, you don't know me but there is danger coming your way and I must warn you. Your tribe will be attacked tomorrow. I can't tell you who is going to attack you or the exact number of attackers. All I can say is that there will be a lot of them and it will most likely happen after dawn. Don't let your guard down. Before you think this might be a trap I can assure you it is not. I took advice from Ibn Al Arabi and there is a short message on the back from him" I finished reading the unsigned side before turning it and looking at the back.

Just like the stranger said there was a message in my Shaykh's handwriting at the back. "My son trust this person. You may not know them but I do and I know they are telling the truth. Know that I am praying for your safety always" I finished reading before my big brother Gundogdu spoke.
"How do you know it's not a trap, Ertugrul? How can we trust a stranger?" He asked confusion and uncertainty evident in his voice. "We can't trust strangers big brother. But there is a message from Shaykh Ibn Al Arabi on the back. I know his handwriting and he trusts the person so I do to and so should you" I answered before turning back to Abdurrahman.

"Go to Turgut and tell him to prepare the alps. Get Deli Demir to sharpen the alps weapons and tell them to be on guard so they are ready for when dawn arrives" I said and he quickly walked off. "Mother if you will excuse me, I must go and pray and then check on the alps" my mother nodded and I left.

*****

"The Mongols are coming!!! There are Mongols heading our way!" A scouting Alp shouted as he galloped back to the tribe. The Kayi's archers lined up with their arrows waiting for the signal to shoot. The Mongols appeared in their vision charging towards their camp. "Shoot!!!" Gundogdu Bey shouted and they released their arrows which rained down upon the Mongols. Some soldiers fell but were swiftly replaced by others. Then Mongol arrows rained upon the Kayi tribe.....