Chapter 5

The Kayi Tribe

Ertugrul

I don't know how sister Aykiz got such a brilliant idea so quickly, but I'm glad she did and we have defeated Noyan for now. Alhamdulillah only a few of our brothers were injured and none were martyred. I carried on walking and Turgut came to me. "What's wrong, brother? You seemed troubled by something?" I asked him. He grimaced a bit before saying "My Bey, when I ran past you in battle, I saw the women fighting. I stopped to see if they were ok and saw them pushing some of the enemy into the trees. Then they carried on fighting like nothing happened and the soldiers weren't seen again" he finished.

"That is strange" I said burrowing my brows. "Call one of the women you saw doing it, we'll see what she has to say" I replied. He left to find one of the women and I went back to my mother and Halime in the marquee.

*****

Turgut went to Gundogdu and Selçan's tent. "May I come in?" He asked. "Come in Turgut!" Gundogdu called out to him. "Ertugrul Bey wishes to speak to Selçan Hatun" Turgut said once he walked in. "What? Has she done something? Tell me what she's done!" He started getting angry. "Astagfirullah. It's nothing bad Gundogdu bey. It was just something we noticed when she was fighting we just want to check something with her" he answered  calmly. "It's ok, Gundogdu. I will see what Ertugrul Bey wants to know. But if you are still worried come with me and we'll see what he wants" Selçan intervened before heading out the tent. Gundogdu sighed before exiting the tent too and Turgut followed.

*****

Selçan

I walked into the marquee and saw that Ertugrul Bet was waiting for me. Halime and my mother were sat there too. "You asked to see me Bey?" I asked. "Yes. Firstly how are you sister? You did not get injured in the battle inshallah?" He questioned. "No my Bey. Alhamdulillah I am fine and I'm not tired either" I replied unsure of what he was going to ask me, Ertugrul is good at hiding things he doesn't want to share so I never know if I have done something wrong.

"Very well. Turgut told me that he saw you during the battle. He said you pushed the enemies into the woods and they weren't seen again and you didn't lool at them again. Is that true?" He asked me. "Yes, my Bey. I did that because Aykiz came to me during the battle. She said there is someone in the woods who will help us if we feel overwhelmed by the enemy. She never said who it was or why they were helping. As her sister, I trusted her my Bey and when the battle was over, I checked the woods and found Mongolian bodies, so what Aykiz said must have been true" I told him, recounting everything I remember.

"Interesting. Thank you for telling me, sister in law it is very helpful" he replied. "It  could be possible that the person who sent the unsigned note with my Shaykh is the same person who helped us in battle" he said aloud. "Sister, will you call Aykiz here please?" He asked. I nodded to him before leaving to find Aykiz.

Halime

Why is there someone helping us? Do they want something from us? This could be dangerous. I don't know how my Ertugrul can trust this stranger.
As soon as I finished thinking about this, Selçan returned with Aykiz.

A/N: I don't know about anyone else but I really liked Aykiz so I've kept her alive in this story.

Aykiz

I walked in with Selçan. Ertugrul Bey has called me. I'm sure that he has found out what happened in battle. "So Aykiz, can you tell me what happened during the battle?" Ertugrul Bey asked me. " Well, I was looking for more heathens to kill when I heard a voice warning me of an attacker. Sure enough, I turned around and came face to face with a disgusting Mongol. I killed him and then I got dragged into the woods. It was a woman in Mongol armour she told me to use fire on the arrows and if us women or anyone near our area felt overwhelmed by the enemy, to push them into the woods and she would kill them.

I was unsure first my Bey but when I shoved a few and didn't see any again, I thought I could trust her. At the end of the battle I saw the Mongols  bodies with Selçan and the woman was nowhere to be found. I did also lift any masked soldiers to see if she had been killed but didn't find her" I replied. He nodded and then I left.