Chapter 18

The Mongol's Camp

Noyan

Too many of my men have died. Ögedei khan likes me but he will not keep sending me more men. I should talk to my closest men about this. Perhaps Borjigin or Ulubilge know something that I have missed. We may have a traitor on our hands. "Guards!" I shouted from my seat. One of my soldiers ran in and said " Yes, Bayçu Noyan?"
"Tell my commander's I wish to see them in my tent for dinner" I told him. "Okay, but do you want Tangut there or not?" He asked me. "No. I don't fully trust him again yet" I answered. He nodded and then left swiftly not wanting to put me in a bad mood for being lazy.

*****

Aylin Hatun

I entered the tent with Ulubilge, wondering why Noyan had summoned us. I mean he had been in a bad mood because of his soldiers I killed but surely he hasn't found out it was me. He called us forth and we sat with him. Then his slaves came in and put food before us. "I have called you both here because you are my most trusted men" he began and me and Ulubilge smiled at him while nodding for him to continue. "Too many of my men have been killed which got me thinking, maybe we have a traitor in our midst. Perhaps one of you two knows something I do not" he said looking into both of our eyes meaningfully.

When he said that I got worried but as my senses hit me, I realised that he doesn't know it's me yet. I don't know anything except..."I do know something actually, Noyan" I started. "Tell me then, do not hesitate and put me in a bad mood" he urged. "Yesterday, I overheard Tangut telling one of your men that he was going to see that dog Sadettin Kopek. So I followed him and managed to hear their conversation. He's plotting to kill you and become Ögedei's new commander" I told him. This wasn't a lie, I actually went and heard this.

"WHAT???!!!" Noyan roared suddenly throwing over the table which made me and Ulubilge jump. "Its true Bayçu Noyan. If you don't believe me I even have witnesses who can tell you that is what happened" I told him. Then I told one of the guards to call the soldiers I took with me yesterday and one of the Kopek's soldiers I captured. They entered shortly and they all testified to what I said. This enraged Noyan and he killed Kopek's soldier; sliced his head clean off it's shoulders and put it in a chest to be sent to Kopek immediately.

"We are having an execution tomorrow!" Noyan shouted. "Ulubilge, I want you to sedate him with the help of the spirits. Borjigin, I want you to torture him and then I will execute him and put his head outside our camp in wax, to show what I do to traitors" he said with a dangerous tone. "As you wish Noyan. If you will excuse me I will go to my tent and prepare some torture devices" i told him. He nodded and I walked out smirking happily. Finally, I'm getting rid of that disgusting idiot.