Chapter 16

Ertugrul

After the attack, we regrouped outside the marquee and I assessed the state of my people. Alhamdulillah none died, but there are a few severe wounds. I watched as the Alps came towards the marquee before I headed in. We need to devise a plan to get our sons and daughters back. The Alps entered not long after me and sat down around the table. Once they had all sat down, I grabbed a map from beside me and placed it on the table, before starting the conversation.

*****

We returned to the tent, all the children gathered on a wagon pulled by our horses. Our tribe had gathered again and all cheered in relief and gave thanks to Allah because the children were safe. Once we had reached the centre of our tribe we dismounted, before carefully taking the children off and watching them run to their families. I smiled as I watched them reunite with their families and share long embraces. I walked up to the entrance if the marquee and turned to face my people. "Tonight we shall have a feast in honour of another victory over the Mongols, our brave children and the strong alps and people of our tribe!" I proudly proclaimed. They all cheered in excitement and quickly dispersed to begin preperations. I entered my marquee and sat down happily, glad that now I could have a moment of peace. But before I could remove my hat, Korkut Bey, Tugtekin, my mother, Gundogdu and Sungurtekin strode into the marquee.

"My son, you have made me a proud mother once again!" My mother said, approaching me first and kissing me on the head. "But do tell us son, how did you save them? Surely it wasn't easy, I mean they are Mongols, son. They are ruthless" she asked desperately. I chuckled before asking them all to sit. "Well my dear mother, I had help. Geyikli and my Shaykh Ibn Al Arabi brought news of the attack. 2 days previously and so since then I had a plan for the battle. I had a plan to take back our women because I assumed that those filthy Mongols would try to take them.

But when they took the children that was unexpected. So after the battle, I called all my alps and we rearranged the plan so it would be easier to get the children and then we went to bring them back. We got to the children quickly and killed any guards surrounding them and then got ready to leave. But as we were leaving, the Mongols rained arrows upon us. By the mercy of Allah, no arrows pierced our skin, yet the Mongols continued their attack. Then out of nowhere, flaming arrows rained on the Mongols and killed many of their men.

Once they retreated we thought we would thank our helpers, but no one came forth. We searched around and it appeared that they left. The Alps that went tracking them should be back soon and we should know who they are" I finished and then took a sip of water as I was talking for a while. Just as I placed my bowl down, Dogan asked for permission to enter and when I let him, I noticed he was clutching a small piece of paper. "Bey we didn't find anything except this" he spoke, handing it to me.

"Ertugrul Bey, with the permission of Allah I am watching over you, like I promised. Inshallah I will be able to meet you at the tribe soon. But in the meantime if you need help send a pigeon or one of your men to Geyikli and I will do my best to help." I finished reading it out loud and smiled. It wasn't signed and yet immediately, I knew who it was. Aylin. I looked up from the note to see everyone staring at me in shock. I just smiled at them and said "Well it seems Allah has given us an ally" whilst smiling at them. I then turned and saw Halime peaking from our tent, a jealous look on her face. Is she rally jealous? She doesn't even know if it's a man or a woman. Never mind I'll talk to her after the feast. I thought.

A/N: flaming arrows is Aylin's signature weapon which is why it's used a lot.