Chapter 9

Aylin mounted her horse once her brother and his alp left. She needed to hurry back to Noyan as the sun had begun to set. If she was late back to the camp Noyan's temper would get the better of him even though she was his new favourite. As she sped back, she got lost in her thoughts.

Aylin Hatun

After Ertugrul caught me up with everything going on back home, we prayed namaaz and then he left with me promising to give outside help whenever they need it before they left. Inshallah, I will be able to go home to my tribe one day. AND that Turgut alp was kind of cool. Like he only fights with an axe??? And he's not bad looking either. Maybe if we get to know each other who knows where it could go 😉😉 (the winky faces imply marriage btw). For now though, I need to focus on my job and helping out Ertugrul. As my thoughts came to an end, I looked up to see the camp ahead and slowed down to a trot. As I dismounted by the campfire, the sun disappeared below the horizon. "Borjigin has returned!" A soldier shouted as I sat to the right of Noyan. I nodded at Ulubilge who was sat on his left and waited for the servants to bring our food and Noyan to commence our feast. Surprisingly I had managed to ask for halal food (not using the word halal of course, using an allergy excuse) without being questioned. The servants came out and started bringing out our food and drinks and I could tell Noyan was about to make a speech.

Noyan

When I heard the sound of hooves and one of my men shout that Borjigin has returned, I hastily got up and exited my tent ready to greet him. Since we found him 10 years ago and he offered to help us fight the Turks he has been loyal and helped us to many victories. But there is one thing that I have been thinking about recently. In 10 years, I have never seen his face. Why does he hide it? Is he hideous? Does he not like his face? Or has he just become so comfortable in his armour? I'll ask him at the feast today I think.

*****

The servants brought the food and then I began my speech. "My soldiers, we have won many a victory! Gok Tengri is happy with us and Erlik Khan doesn't want our souls! We have a new commander amongst our ranks now. A toast to Borjigin! May he be with us until the spirits take us to heaven!" I said, lifting up my wine cup. "To Borjigin!!!" The soldiers replied holding up their cups. Borjigin lifted his cup and nodded too before taking a sip without removing his mask. How have I only noticed this now???

"Borjigin. You have been with us for a decade, but there is one thing I have been thinking about. We have never seen your face. Are you hideous or are you shy??? Our soldiers would love to see the face of their fiercest commander" as I said this, I noticed Tangut's jaw clench and his fists curl out of the corner of my eye. I smirked and waited for Borjigin to reply. "You are right, Noyan, you have never seen my face. It is not because of shyness or because I think I'm hideous" he replied. "Well then remove your mask! I would like to see my strongest and most loyal commander's face" I commanded him. He lifted his hands up to his face and slowly removed his mask...

A/N: Aylin has returned and sat at the feast. She now knows more about her family. But Noyan has asked her to remove her mask. Will her identity get exposed? How will Noyan take it when he finds out Borjigin is actually a woman???