Recovery

"There's a chance she'll never wake up."

Never wake up? Why? She was awake, she'd been awake for the past few days, in the far reaches of her mind. She was fine, though the ear-splitting headache told her differently. She heard distant wails of grief and begged for them to quiet down. She tried to wiggle her fingers and toes, and she felt them twitch. Then she saw the light up ahead, glowing in the vast darkness of her head. She ran towards and the light got bigger and bigger until all she saw was the stark white ceiling of what must be a hospital and all she could feel was the softness of the sheets beneath her. She tried to lift her head and see the source of the distressed wails, but found her head to be about as heavy as a rock.

She tried to blink, and her eyelashes fluttered, and her vision cleared as her eyes gathered moisture as they blinked rapidly taking in her surroundings. She tried to speak but her mouth was as dry as the Sahara. Her arms were heavy and hard to lift, but she succeeded in sweeping away her hair from her face. She tried to move her arms, but when she did, she felt immense pain in her stomach and she gasped in agony.

Suddenly, there were healers all around her. They prodded her checking her vitals and saying all sorts of things Tina didn't understand. One of them, this one with dirty blonde hair, held up a needle and injected it into her arm.

And just like that, the new light of the world faded, and she was thrown into the dark abyss once more.

-----------------------------

It was the next day when she woke up again. She'd been roused by this feeling in her hand, it was soft and she could feel the rough calluses on the object. She realized she'd felt this object before, and knew it was Newt's hand. Newt's hand felt so right, so complete in her own. She opened her eyes blearily. It was dark outside, the dark metropolis of London lit only by the lights of the streets and buildings nearby. She turned to the other side of the bed and saw Leta. She couldn't imagine how she was feeling right now.

Turning back to Newt, she squeezed his hand, hoping she awoke. He sniffled and she noticed his breathing change. He lifted his head, his eyes clouded with sleep. He stared at her in a daze and she smiled at the way his hair flopped on his forehead and pushed it back with her fingers. When she tried to move away, Newt caught her hand and rubbed his thumb across her palm, "Am I dreaming?" He asked in a voice raspy with sleep. She laughed or tried to, but her voice came out more like a wheeze from misuse.

Newt smiled at her, linking their fingers together, his eyes watering, "They said you'd never wake up." Tina frowned, "Yeah, I heard. I couldn't leave my friends alone could I?" They heard a chuckle from behind them and turned to see Leta, tears in her eyes. "I-I'm so-so sorry, Tina." Tina only nodded her head and held out her hands.

Leta took them and felt Tina pull her into a hug. She cried, remembering what she'd done and what had happened to Ember. She looked at Newt, silently communicating what to do. "I can feel you two thinking something, what is it?" Leta pulled back, "What are you talking about?" She asked, her hands fidgeting. Tina raised an eyebrow looking between her and Newt, "Newt's ears turned red and you started fidgeting. So, what is it?"

------------------------------------------

"No. No. No! S-sh-she couldn't have just di-died like that! She wouldn't!" Tina let out a few more incomprehensible words before letting out a shaky sob. Her hair fell in front of her face, hiding her leaky eyes, and her lips trembled. She clenched her fingers and the lights flickered but continued to light the ward. Newt stood up, and carefully unfurled her hands, holding them in his own. She moved her head to look at him, and he slowly opened her arms to him. She slowly looked between his eyes and his arms, contemplating.

She then launched herself into his arms, her sobs muffled in his shoulder. He rubbed her back whispering in your ear, "I'm here Tina. I'm here."

"I'll catch you, Tina."

Teehee! I finally included the infamous line once again. Hope you enjoyed this little flangst chapter. I hope to continue updating sooner every time. Enjoy!

Becca Eve.

P.S.- I finally applied for an invitation on AO3 and hope to upload my book to the Tina Goldstein/Newt Scamander tag soon!