02 | duties and rules

"The man who has confidence in himself gains the confidence of others."

Third Omniscient Point Of View.

_____

Qophelo woke up the next day wondering what was to come throughout the day. He checked the time on his small phone and right on time, there was a knock. He went to open and a container of food was on his doorstep. Manqoba was already approaching his house.

"Any chance you saw who delivered this?" Qophelo asked as he lifted the container off the floor. Manqoba shook his head.

"No. But whoever makes this is a good as hell cook." Manqoba takes the container and sits on Qophelo's bed. "Why do you never eat these?"

Qophelo shook his head. "I don't trust food I didn't make or didn't see being made. Whoever made that might want me dead."

Manqoba gasped. "And you let me eat this?!"

Qophelo shrugged. "You're hungry and you've been eating these for as long as I can remember and you are still alive. But on second thought, this food might have something that makes intelligence deteriorate day by day."

Manqoba laughed at him. "That's all you have?"

"Just get out." Qophelo said with a small smile.

"Actually, I came here to tell you something. I passed Jabulani on my way here and he said I should tell you that you and Gumede are going to be fighting in front of the royals."

Qophelo's eyes widened. "Seriously?"

"Not specifically, the people at the end of it all will fight but he assumes it will Gums and you. There's a pair-up sheet that actually pairs us all. By the end of today, two of us will be facing off."

Qophelo took off his shirt, "now I'm convinced there's something big. But why need just two? I hope we aren't going to be competing in some deadly competition."

"Not all of us though, they'd need to hire new people." Manqoba before groaning. "This is really good. It's like they added korobela (love potion) today."

Qophelo laughed. "It would make sense."

"Any ideas?"

"On what?"

Manqoba gave him a bored look. "On who your secret admirer is. Not even Gumede gets special meals on his doorstep the moment he wakes up."

Qophelo shrugged. "I don't know. I've never thought of anyone ever having feelings for me. I've never looked at anyone a certain way before."

"Wait.. are you still a virgin?" Manqoba gaped as he stared intensely at his best friend.

Qophelo sported on a blank face. "No. I'm not. Now get out, I want to get ready."

"Hawu.. I thought we were-"

"Just go, man." Qophelo said and turned to go to his bathroom. Manqoba shrugged before cleaning the container and putting it on the counter.

Rooms for all the warriors were three-roomed. A kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. Furniture was also provided. Most of the people who'd been chosen as warriors were from poor backgrounds and that's why they were provided with most things.