21 | separation ♡

"You will face many defeats in life, but never let yourself be defeated."

⚠️ WARNING ⚠️

______

Thandeka Ndaba

I felt bad as I heard the door slam. I could see the satisfaction in the Queen's eyes as Funeka's mother scrambled after her, apologising profusely. That was the expression of a woman who knew, come what may, she was going to get what she wanted.

"Sorry about that." Queen Gugulethu apologised to us, taking her seat beside her husband. "Shall we dig in?"

Like nothing happened.

I shared a glance with my mother and she had the same questioning look on my face. I was going to speak to her after this. Although coronation is close, there was a chance we could cancel everything and I could get a chance to be with Qophelo without feeling guilty or it being adultery.

My mother could obviously see what kind of characters the family was and she couldn't agree for us to continue and be families with them. They obviously liked feeling superior and those weren't good qualities of being leaders.

"How are you feeling, Thandeka? Are you nervous?" Phumzile asked as we ate. Everyone's attention moved to me. I caught Qophelo's eyes from across the room and he looked away from me.

I cleared my throat before answering, "I'm nervous but it's what I've always been looking forward to so I'm ready. Plus," I smiled, letting my eyes look up to Qophelo. "I have my bodyguard with me... and of course, Zweli."

My father spoke up. "Actually, Qophelo is coming back with us."

"What?" Both Qophelo and I simultaneously exclaimed.

"Really?" Zweli asked, smugly glancing at Qophelo.

"Yes," my father confirmed. "Princess, the only reason you needed Qophelo was because I wasn't sure of the conditions you were going to experience here, no offence to the Nkabindes. In the time you've been here, Qophelo has not reported one bad thing to me. You don't need him anymore."

"But baba-"

"Your father is right, Thandeka." The Queen smiled. "You don't need your silly little puppet anymore. We are not going to harm you. You are going to be our Queen, we will protect you."

"Ma?"

My mother sighed. "I have no argument."

"Then it's settled." Zweli said. "Don't worry, sthandwa sam. I'll protect you from now on." He leaned in and pecked my lips. I almost gagged. After the conversation, everyone continued talking like they didn't just ruin my plans. I kept my eyes on Qophelo, who shared my devastation.

When I was done eating, I walked out. Qophelo followed me. "I'm sorry." I said once we reached his cottage. I felt like it was my fault that he was leaving.

"Don't be. I should've seen this coming. My purpose here was to keep you safe and I have done my part." He sat down on the bed and pulled me down to him. I straddled his lap, putting my arms on his shoulders.

He laid his head on the spot between my neck and collarbone. His hot and heavy breathe hit me and made me feel very hot. "I want to have my way with you before I leave, Princess." As he said that, his hands travelled under my dress, caressing my bare thighs. I shuddered, throwing my head back and exposing my neck to him.