10 | changed

"It's hard to say what's wrong when nothing is going right."

Third Omniscient Point Of View

_____

Amukelani got out the car and stood beside it for close to ten minutes. She opened the door and reached back inside and took a lighter and cigarette. She closed the door and went a distance and started smoking. The place, she didn't recognise but from the houses she passed earlier, she was far from the city and probably in one of the many Kingdoms in KZN.

She inhaled a large puff and let it out through her nose. The wind was blowing softly across her skin causing goosebumps to appear. She caressed her arms to bring them some warmth as thoughts plagued her brain. She was lost. She was empty, dead inside. A shell of the bubbly girl she used to be.

She missed her brother. The only person who understood her and could help her get through anything. She wondered how he looked like now and more importantly, where he was. Was he dead or alive? Poor or rich? She had wondered too many times about what her brother's life could be like.

She threw away the cigarette and went back to the car. She looked into the backseat and Lethokuhle was still fast asleep. Her lips trembled as she thought over her decision. She doubted her previous conclusion to get rid of the boy. She could go to jail and she wouldn't be able to explain what happened.

She wiped the tears that had managed to fall from her eyes and focused on getting back on the road. She put on some quiet music to distract herself from further haunting thoughts. She felt weak but she was going to take control again. Today was just one of those days. The days in which she felt something in her that made her human.

Something that didn't differentiate her from the others around her. She didn't want to feel vulnerable and exposed. People were going to push you over when you kept feeling like that, and more importantly, showing them that side of you.

"Mama?" Amukelani's peace was disrupted as the little boy in the backseat sat up, rubbing his eyes to get rid of the sleepiness. "Mama?" He called out again and Amukelani clenched her hands on the steering wheel. She sometimes thought that Lethokuhle liked the abuse.

He'd made it a point to call her 'mama' every chance he got. It disgusted her to her core. She didn't want to be a mother and it was unfair that she was being given a title she didn't want. She did not want to be a mother, his mother. If she ever did decide to have children, it would not be with Trevor and it would be willingly.

She ignored the boy but the shrill sound of the iPhone ringtone disturbed her again. She took the phone from the holder and answered, her hand slightly shaking but she forced herself to calm down. "Trevor?"

"My son better be alive, Amukelani. What are you doing driving this late? And what are you doing so far from home?!" He bellowed. Amukelani couldn't think of an answer.

Lethokuhle watched from behind. Although it was dark, a source was providing light and he could make an outline enough to tell him that whoever she was talking to was someone she was afraid of. She then stopped talking and passed the phone to him.

"It's your daddy." She said softly. A tone she only used in moments like these. When Trevor was within earshot or around to monitor her. Trevor was a complicated man. She knew, he knew that she was doing something to Lethokuhle but he didn't do anything about it except threaten her or prevent her from leaving.