~Chapter 29~

"I'm sorry you had to deal with that; I probably should have taken you somewhere with fewer people." I grip the steering wheel in frustration, causing my knuckles to turn white.

"No, Kookie, it's fine; I knew what the possibility would be running into those kinds of people when I agreed to come and hang out with you in a public place."

She gives me a reassuring smile that warms my heart to its core. "I'm just happy that you're safe, Noona. I don't know what I would do if something had happened to you."

Shit...I can't keep it to myself, can I?

I snap my mouth shut the second those words fell out; from the corner of my eye, I watch as her eyes grow wide then soften back down. The rest of the drive to her house was quiet, all but the sound of the music from my stereo and the rushing of the city passing us by.

When we arrive at the house, I was glad that there were no signs of a party waiting for her inside. I pull up next to Taehyung's car and cut the engine to mine; getting out, I walk over to her side and open the passenger door.

"Thank you, Kookie." She says, her voice feels like the first time I ate churros, soft, warm, and sweet.

I gulp quietly while suppressing the groan that wants to escape my lips. Then I close the door behind her and follow her up to the front door.

As she presses the key into the lock and begins to turn it. She stops and peers around at me, "I know you still feel responsible for what happened in the parking lot. So would it make you feel better if I made you something sweet to eat?"

Oh Noona, if you only knew what would make me feel better right now.

"Yes, Noona, I think it would, thank you." I nod and flash a smile.

She beams at me, turning the key the rest of the way, the lock clicks, and she leads us inside. "Taehyung won't be able to hang out with us until a little bit later. He said that he has some things for the concert he needs to finish and...."

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

Everyone shouts and jumps out, blowing party horns while streamers fall from the air down on us. The look on her face was one of pure joy and surprise. As she shuts the door, her eyes widen, taking in all of the balloons, streamers, and other decorations filling the house. It looks amazing; the guys did a good job.

When she meets Taehyung's eyes, you can see the love they have for one another radiate from them. I feel my chest tighten, wishing that I were in his position, to have her look at me that way. I know it's selfish of me and not right to think this because he's one of my best friends.

But you can't control who you fall in love with, especially if they don't love you the same way back.

She runs to him and wraps her petite arms around his waist as he embraces her back, kissing the top of her head. "Happy birthday Princess, I'm sorry I had to lie to you this morning about working."

Tears filling her eyes, she looks up at him, "No, this is nothing to be sorry about; I love that you took the time to get everyone together to do this for me. You didn't have to when you all have so much going on and..."

She's cut off mid-sentence from him crashing his lips to hers; when they part, her face is beet red.

Jimin bounds over and puts a pastel green birthday hat on her head, "Happy birthday Noona."

"Thank you, Jimin; I'm happy that you came." She says, sniffling as Taehyung wipes the tears from her face when they make their way through the house and into the living room where everyone was gathered around laughing and chatting up a storm.