Chapter 18

I woke up because of the endless buzzer coming from my front door.

I hold my head when I get up. I could see from the floor-to-ceiling glass that it was already evening.

Hindi pa din maayos ang pakiramdam ko o baka nahilo lang ako sa biglaan na pagbangon.

Sino ba kasing poncio pilato ang nasa harap ng unit ko? At kung makapag doorbell naman ay kulang nalang wasakin ang pinto.

Bumaba ako ng kama at kinuha ang silk robe ko at lumabas ng kwarto. Hawak ang ulo nagtungo ako sa may pinto at binuksan iyon.

"What are you doing here? And how did you know I have a condo unit in this tower?"- I asked, surprised, when I saw her standing boredly in front of me.

She ignored me, glancing inside.

"Can I come in?"

"No-"

"I just want to talk to you. It's pretty serious. Spare some time for me before your boyfriend arrives."- she seriously said and shoved me to the side.

"Mara!"- I irritatingly said, closing the door behind me.

She's comfortably sitting on the couch when I step into the living area.

"Sit down"

"Leave!"- I said sternly.

She rolled her eyes at me and crossed her arms while leaning on the couch.

"I just-—"

Hindi ko na pinansin ang sinasabi nya at tinalikuran na sya.

"Hey Evie! That's rude!"- she shouted at me.

Bumalik ako sa kwarto para magpahinga saglit bago maligo nalang. Medyo nahirapan pa ako dahil hindi ko malinis ng maayos yung sugat ko.

Kahit labag sa loob ko ay lumabas ako at naabutan syang nasa couch pa din.

"Put this on me."- I said, throwing the bandages on her lap.

"Bakit ako? Intayin mo nalang ang boyfriend mo."- she said.

Hindi ko pinansin ang sinabi nya at naupo sa tabi nya. "Dali na. My wounds might get germs if you're not going to do it."

"Just to remind you, I am a vampire at pwede ako ma tempt sa sugat mo."

I know, dimwit.

She tsked before grabbing the bandage. She put it on my hand and on my forehead.

"I only have 5 minutes left."- she muttered, making me frown.

"What do you want right now, Mara? I know you know that I'm not feeling well, yet you're here pestering me."

"Okay, look. I'm just going to make this short, so listen to what I'm going to say to you. DO NOT go back to your house in the meantime until I tell you so."

My brows furrowed in confusion.

"And why on earth am I going to listen to you? That is my house."

"Exactly. But unfortunately, that house is no longer safe."

Tumayo na sya pagkatapos nun kaya napatayo na din ako at pinigilan sya sa braso.

"What are you talking about?"

"Watch television in order for you to catch up with the current issue, madame."

"Mara, explain everything to me so I can understand!"

"There are bloodsuckers in town, and they're looking for me. Stay in here for the meantime so that they won't hurt you too."

Bloodsucker in town?

Is she freakin' serious?

"This is not a good joke."

"I am not kidding around, and I'm going to figure out who's the mastermind of all the killings happening in town."- she paused for a minute and glanced at the door. She smiled before looking at me. "Your boyfriend is already here."

Nakita ko na umatras sya at binuksan ang sliding door.

Kasabay ng pagsampa nya sa rails ay sya namang pagtunog ng doorbell. Kumaway muna sya bago sya nagpatihulog.

What?! Nasa 8th floor ang unit ko!

Gusto ko pa sana syang silipin pero mas pinili ko na lang na buksan ang pinto dahil maingay ang tunog ng doorbell.

Paul is the one outside. She's right. My boyfriend did come tonight.

When I opened the door, he greeted me with a warm hug and a kiss on the forehead.

He cupped my face after that to look intently at me.

"I'm sorry for being here. When I heard the news that you got hurt, I couldn't stay put and continue doing my job. I'm so worried, honey."- he sincerely said.

I just hugged him again. Unable to find the words to answer him. My mind is drifting away.

Nababahala ako sa balitang sinabi ni Mara. Kung naglipana na ang mga kauri nya dito paano na ang mga tao? Ako at si Paul?

*************

"Hon? Are you alright?"- Paul snapped in front of me.

We are currently sitting on the couch. Watching t.v. since we're already done eating dinner together.

"Y-yeah"

"You sure?"- he asked, worried, but I just nodded my head and looked at the screen.

There's new news circulating about all the killings happening in town.

"Wild animal? Seriously? If it's an animal, then why is it still not getting caught?"- komento nya sa tabi ko habang nakatutok din ang mga mata sa T.V

"Vampire's? Nagpapatawa yata tong news anchor nato,  pa iba iba ng sinasabi."- he said again.

Napalingon na ako sa kanya at pinakatitigan sya.

"Hindi ka naniniwala dun?"

He shook his head while chuckling.

"Hon who would believe on that? Those were just ancient beliefs"

I cleared my throat.

If I tell him I saw one, I doubt that he'll believe in me, or maybe he will because I am his girlfriend.

"I'm sleepy, hon."- I mumbled beside him.

He turned off the T.V before looking at me.

"Alright.I guess it's time for me to go."

We both stand up, and I escort him to the door.

Lumingon sya sa akin at pinatakan ng halik ang labi ko. Niyakap nya din ako pagkatapos.

"If something happens, just call me, okay? "

"But you're busy too. I don't want to disturb you."- I muttered.

He chuckled, kissing me on the forehead.

"No matter how busy I am, I will always come to rescue you."

"Hon--"

"Darating ako palagi." - he said seriously.

Tinulak ko naman sya palayo sakin.

"Go away. Just message me if you get there safe."

He nodded his head and waved his hand at me. I smile and close the door.

I doubled the lock and went to the sliding door. I also locked it and pulled the curtain to cover my whole living area.

Pumasok nako sa kwarto pagkatapos.
Naupo ako sa kama habang nag scroll sa phone ko.

"No way.."- I mumbled when I saw the trending news that I didn't get to understand while watching television earlier.

She's not lying at all. It's freakin' real, and everyone is getting scared for their safety.