Chapter 20

I'm pacing back and forth inside my house while holding a glass of blood in my hand.

I can't believe what happened. I can't believe it. I just really can't!

The door swung open, revealing Lenora with her usual poker face.

"What's with the urgent call? Pede mo naman ako puntahan sa gubat."

Hindi na ito nag abala pa na maupo at humalukipkip lamang habang nakatitig sa akin.

"I saw him."

"I see. Now what?"

Nagsalubong ang kilay ko at binato sa dingding ang basong hawak ko.

"Why didn't you freaking tell me that it was him?"

"Woah, chill, Mara. I believed I told you already that the culprit is somehow close to you."

"But still, you didn't tell me that it was him. You know how much I hated riddles, Lenora!"- I exclaimed out of frustration.

"Alright, I'm accepting my mistake, but why the heck are you so mad?"

Tumalikod ako at tinukod ang kamay ko sa mesa.

Dinala ako ng isip ko sa nakaraan.

Flashback

Year 1876

A fourteen-year-old girl came out of the double door, running away from the maid who was looking after her.

She smiled before going inside her family's garden. A scent of dark red roses planted there lingers in her nostrils.

"Señorita!"

"Leave me alone for a while."

"But--"

"Leave"

The old lady tried again to protest, but the younger girl threw daggers in her direction, making the old lady tremble in fear.

"Okay. I'll just wait for you on the doorway."

The girl smiled before turning her back. Giving her full attention to the rose in front of her. She plucks it, not minding if her mother will scold her later.

"Beautiful..." - she said while staring at the petals. Her fingers trace its stem, scratching her skin and making it bleed because of the thorn. "...but deadly".

"Now I know why Mother loves comparing me to you."- she whispered in the air.

She looked down on her finger, watching the blood flow down and drop on the petals of the rose.

She heard horses coming; that's why she quickly got out of there.

If horses arrive, it only means one thing.

Her father is here.

"Mara! My princess!"

She ran to him to give him a hug. The maid just followed behind her.

The young girl stopped on her tracks when she saw a boy.

"Who is his father?"

"Oh, I forgot, but Mara, he is your brother."

The young girl frowned because she wasn't informed that she had a brother.

"You mean stepbrother?"