02: Party Under the Stars

If I'm going to this party I want to look some what decent. I quickly change into a pair of jean shorts and a grey flannel shirt, rolling up the sleeves. After that I walk up to my vanity and take out my tight braid that I had my hair in all day, because of that my hair was slightly curly. I brush out all the knots and decide to keep my brunette hair down. Looking at my appearance for a bit, I feel a sense of emptiness. My phone buzzes showing a message from Grace, saying she was on her way.

I never been to the abandoned farm which the party was at. Apparently an old couple used to live there until they died, some say the place is haunted. But I guess you could say us teenagers took over the barn and plenty of parties have been held there.

I exit my room, turning off the lights, then walk downstairs. My phone buzzes again so I look at it to see a text from my mom saying:

From: Momma bird🐦:
Have fun tonight! Don't do anything you'll regret by tomorrow

To: Momma bird🐦:
Lol no need to worry and I will! See you later 2 nite! 😘😍

Ever since the whole Shawn thing my mom and I seem to be talking a lot more. She's always asking how am I doing and how my day went. I'm starting to wonder if she's worried about me. I hear a knock at my door when I stuff my phone in my shorts pocket. Answering the door I see a perky Grace.

"Ready to party?" She asks full of enthusiasm. I realize this is the first time Grace and I hung out since I came back to Canada. I feel slightly guilty for the fact that I haven't been talking to my friends as much as I used to.

"You bet," I say trying to match her tone. I put on a pair of my cowgirl boots, wanting to fit the farm idea.

I follow her out of my house locking the door behind me and putting the key in it's hiding spot. I hop in the passenger seat of Grace's red van as she gets in the drivers side. She starts the ignition and the radio starts playing.

"Nice shirt, flannel looks good on you," Grace compliments, I grin.

"Thanks," I reply as It's Time by Imagine Dragons comes on. Exhilaration flows through me as we near the abandoned farm, the dirt road leading towards the sound of booming music and the glow of coloured lights. This os my first time going to a party at the farm and I'm not sure what I'm in for. When we pull up into the driveway beside a line of other vehicles Aaron instantly greets us. Well, looks like I'll be third wheeling tonight...

"Hey Grace, Cadence, what took you so long?" He asks us as we walk towards the barn.
"The party doesn't start till eight, I didn't know people would come early," Grace replies as I follow behind them, feeling slightly left out. Don't worry Cadence, you'll have fun.

When we enter the barn my eyes widen in amazement. There was a bunch of wooden tables with folding chairs by them, a snack bar and in the middle was a dance floor, as well as a small stage. The aroma of beer and alcohol was strong, causing me to cringe slightly. I was not a drinker, especially since I was under age, as well as most of the teens that were here.

I spot Carter and Jack hitting of a few girls with beer bottles in hand. I feel some one grab my hand pulling me to the dance floor, I expected it to be Grace, but it ended up being some random guy my age. He starts dancing, waiting for me to join in, I look past him to see a group of guys laughing at him. The guy blushes then walks over to them. I start putting together the puzzle pieces, figuring out they must be his friends and they must of dared him to dance with me or something. With a smirk I grab his hand spinning him around and I start dancing he instantly joins in, laughing. I laugh along with him then he twirls me around.
"Thanks," he chuckles.
"No problem, I had fun," I laugh. He suddenly pecks my cheek then runs over to his shocked friends. I was just as shocked, not knowing what to do.