24: Shut Down

"If I lay here, if I just lay here, would you lie with me and just forget the world," I sing in my room strumming my guitar.

"Forget what we're told, before we get too old, show me a garden that's bursting into life," I look up at my camera that was filming in my direction.

"Let's waist time, chasing cars, around our heads," finishing off the song I take in a deep breathe, "thanks for watching."

I get up and stop the recording. I sigh and sit on my bed. Pulling out my laptop, I plug my camera into it and start editing the video.

"Cadence, I'm heading downtown for a bit, will you be okay here by yourself?" I hear my mom call out from the other side of my bedroom door.

"Yeah," I call back.

"Okay, see you in a bit, love you."

"Bye, love you too," I call out. I hear her walk out of the house, so I put on my headphones. I replay my video I just filmed analyzing myself. I felt like it wasn't good enough, I felt like I was going to get a lot of hate. Of course I am, I've been gone for so long.

My phone vibrates against my leg, I look down to see I was being called by Emily.

"Hey!" I say.

"Cadence!" The loudness made me pull my phone away from my ear, making me laugh.

"What's up?" I giggle.

"Girl have you heard the news?" She squeals.

"Um, obviously not," I say, continuing to edit my video.

"Guess-" As I upload my video to YouTube I get another call from Shawn.

"Hold on Emily, Shawn's calling me."

"Alright! Tell me what he says!"

I answer Shawn's all, putting Emily on hold, "Hey."

"Hey Cadence, I was wondering if you'd like to practice guitar with me..." I hear his voice on the other end of the phone.

"Um, yeah, sure, I'm not busy, I'll be down there soon," I say.

"Okay can't wait!" He says before I hang up and tap to Emily again.

"I'm back," I say.

"What did he say!?" She shouts.

"I'm going to practice guitar with him right now," I say rolling my eyes.

"Okay I'll talk to you later about the news?" She asks

"Yeah, see ya."

"Bye!"

"Want anything to drink?"

I hear Shawn asks as I scan my twitter feed. Plenty of tweets stood out, ones about my new video, about me, haters, true fans. But the ones that stood out most were the ones that mentioned Shawn.

"Cadence?" I look up at Shawn as he looks at me, a glint of concern in his eyes.

"Um, no, thank you," I say shutting off my phone.

"Okay..." He says quietly, pouring himself a glass of water. My gaze kept landing on my phone as the tweets I read play through my mind.

"I can't believe she thinks she can just come back like that"

"She's depressed cause none of the magcon boys love her"