14: Accidents Happen

The taxi drops us off at my house, which I was slightly confused by. Shawn helps me out of the taxi in the pouring rain. We start running into my house. When we get inside we're greeted by my mom, "Oh Cadence are you alright?"

My cheeks start blushing, so I nod, "I was worried sick, knowing how much you hate storms I knew you were going to be petrified!"

"I'm fine mom," I say quietly.

"Thank you Shawn for bringing her home," my mom says, I flinch for a second while Shawn gives me a confused look. My mom notices and speaks up, "Your mother and I are good friends," she explains quickly, relief washes over me. "Oh, I'll get you two some towels to dry off," she says and disappears.

"So," Shawn starts, "not a fan of storms huh?"

"No, as you can tell," I say. My mom comes back and gives each of us a towel. We start drying ourselves off in silence. I bite my lip and look up at Shawn as he dries his face off, "Er, when we were back outside," I say drawing his attention toward me, "sorry for, jumping into your arms like that..."

"No it's fine, I should of noticed you were scared, it's my fault really," he admits.

I stroke a loose hair behind my ear, "Well either way, thanks for... reassuring me," I pause, "and for holding me..." I add in.

He grins warmly and I wanted him to pull me into another hug, but I knew that would be wrong. "Do you need anything?" My mom asks.

"Uh, no, thanks though Mrs.Surley but I think I'll just walk home," Shawn answers.

I look over at my mother and notice the sadness in her eyes. Old Shawn knew what happened, this one doesn't.

"Why don't you stay and warm up for a bit, I can drive you home," she insists. I bite my lip and look up at Shawn.

"I guess that's not a bad idea, as long as you don't mind," Shawn replies polietly.

"I don't mind at all," My mom beams.

"Thank you Mrs.Surley," he says while taking of his coat.

"Please Shawn," my mom says getting his attention before she leaves the room, "call me Diane."

Shawn nods and I brush a piece of hair behind my ear. After taking off my coat and hanging it in the closet, I guide Shawn into the living room. I sit down on the couch as Shawn observes the photos on the wall. "Who took these?" He asks with curious eyes.

A wash of sadness comes over me, "My dad, he was a photographer."

Shawn looks over at me and raises an eyebrow, "Was?"

I bite my lip and nod as he sits down beside me. I take a deep breathe before I speak, "He just got back from Africa after he went on a photography expedition, he went to the store to print out his pictures..." I pause, "it was storming that night. I begged him to stay, but he promised me he'd be fine." I close my eyes tightly trying to forget the memory, "When I woke up the next day..." I sniffle and a tear escapes my eye, "he wasn't there..."

"Oh Cadence, I'm sorry I brought it up," He pulls me into a hug.

I sniffle, "It's fine, really. Accidents happen..." I sit up as we both pull away from the hug, "do you want to watch a movie or something?"

"Ya sure, you can pick something out, the movies are in that cupboard," After I say that I instantly regret it. He's going to see all the disney movies I have, he's going to tell Carter and Jack, they're going to tease me!

"Wow, you have a lot of disney movies!" He exclaims, looking through them all.

I bite my lip, expecting him to say more, but he doesn't. Instead he grabs Finding Nemo. A small grin appears on my face, making Shawn smirk. "What?" He asks me.