RvB S6 E11 Chapter 11

A.I. Storage Room.
The Freelancers and Jack and Church are still looking at Epsilon.

Church: You mean to tell me we've come all this way for him? My fucking crazy A.I. brother Epsilon?

Jack: But, isn't he supposed to be deleted?

Delta:(t) We thought that to.but, Omega told Church that Memory was the Key. At first we thought he meant to remember our first encounter and during the program we were told was-.

Church grabs his head in pain and see's a flashback to a room full of other freelancers and there's two men in suits standing in front of them.

The Director: You were encrypted until you can be recovered.

Gamma: Recovery carries risk. Destruction ensures that A.I.-.

The Councilor: You cost a lot of money,okay? It's cheaper to recover you than it is to delete you.

Present.

Wash: When they removed Epsilon from me, he was unraveling, casting off all his thoughts. I was sure they deleted him but it's-.

Church: It's cheaper to store it than it is to delete it. Right?

York: Right.

Church: But why are we. Looking for him? What's the point?

Maine: The message specifically said that Memory is the Key. Omega was telling us that Epsilon was still online.

Jack: And Epsilon is the Key to the hole thing?

North: In a way. At the end of the war, things didn't look good for humans, and there were dozens of projects all trying to come up with the magic bullet to win.

Jack: Yeah like the Spartan program?

Wash: Yes and Project Freelancer was one of them. They had their research with aggressive A.I. but they could only get the one, and they needed more to conduct their experiments, so they got desperate.

Church: Right,they tried to...they tried to copy the Alpha but couldn't, so they-.

South: All A.I. are based on a human mind, and the Director had a theory. He thought, if we can't copy Alpha, we'll just have to do the next best thing.

A memory flashes in Church's head.

Church: Ah! They...split him?

York: Just like a human mind when it's broken. The mind fractures itself to protect itself.

Jack: He tortured him...like he did with me.

Wash: Yes, it's like reverse engineering a multiple personality disorder. They presented Alpha with scenario after scenario of stress and danger, when he started to fragment, they harvested those fragments.

Delta and Theta: Us. The Freelancers A.I.'s.

Maine: Exhorted little fragments of purified compartmentalized emotion. None of them were a full personality. Some were good-.

Jack: Like Delta and Theta?

Delta: I am Alpha's logic. He needed to protect himself from analyzing what was happing to him. So I was segregated from his mind. The part that would be able to understand the horror of what they were doing to him and when anger came and threatened to take over, he split that off too. That was Omega, his rage. Gamma was his deceit,Sigma was creatively. And Epsilon-.