Bright Smoke | XIX

CHAPTER NINETEEN

"From the outside looking in, it seems I am fine

"From the outside looking in, it seems I am fine. But they don't know the shit about the everyday grind. "

Mac Miller

* - Star Trigger Warning Sign: Heavy Gun Violence + Slight Gore included once star appears

RAHEEM rode throughout the roads that connected Baldwin by various streets into the quiet night of Amador.

He relied on a couple of back roads his father taught him upon obtaining his driver's license to prevent going head into Amador and being sought out, the rustle of trees and branches falling victim to the speed of his car.

He'd decided to come to the only person he thought could understand the internal conflict that came with cutting Jules off while giving him advice on how to quiet the conscience that screamed at him to make things right with her.

He listened to the sound of hardcore lyrics, heavy bass, and lively instrumentals that filled the speakers of the black Thunderbird.

I'm willin' to die for this shit
I done cried for this shit, might take a life for this shit
Put the Bible down and go eye for an eye for this shit
D.O.T. my enemy, won't catch a vibe for this shit

His head rocked side to side as the color from green streetlights left a red contrasting glow on the heights of his jaw. A steady hand gripped the wheel as he made turns onto dark paths only graced by the shine of the moon that hung lowly in the sky.

He found himself stopping a few times to let deer and other wildlife that resided within the woods that bordered the road. There were a few more stops before he'd made it to the suburb that stood out like a sore thumb among the woods.

After passing the gate, he traveled the path down street signs with creek, wood, and oak in them to differentiate different strips of houses that made up the neighborhood. As the repeating architecture of Mediterranean houses became more familiar, Raheem found himself parked in the driveway of his own.

He turned off the ignition and placed his keys within the confines of his pocket after locking the doors. Rah had almost forgotten that he'd have to take them out again to unlock the front.

His mouth let a groan erupt from his lips as he fished for them again. He twisted the brass into the doorknob and jangled it a bit before gaining entrance into the well lit home.

He hadn't noticed that a gun was pointed in his direction until he'd turned around from locking the door behind him.

  "The hell are you on Pine? It's me." He admitted, confused as to why he was on high alert.

His eyes watched as Pine lowered the pistol.

Pine was dressed down for the evening in the grey v-neck and dark washed jeans Raheem knew to be the epitome of casualty for him.