Do I sink | XXXVII

CHAPTER THIRTY - SEVEN

"I'm looking for a guy who's sincere, one with class and savoir-faire

"I'm looking for a guy who's sincere, one with class and savoir-faire."

- Queen Latifah

THE HEAVING OF A HEAVY CHEST felt good against Jules' back. It had lulled her to sleep, and now caused her eyes to flutter open.

Rah's arm was draped around her side, snuggling her closely as the sunlight peered throughout the windows of her room.

Secretly she did enjoy the embrace of him wanting to hold onto her for as long as he could.

It made her realize that she had the choice whether or not to let go — even if she didn't want to. It made her feel as powerful as it did secure.

Last night was something she'd never imagined.

Holding your breath for a first date as well thought out as the one Raheem had planned nearly left her speechless.

Having the event become her reality was new, so very new. It frightened and surprisingly yet, fulfilled her.

After a few gestures of Raheem trying to convince her that it was in her best interest to join him, she was glad that she did.

No one had ever made her feel like he did.

Often, there are so many emotions that floated amongst her brain whenever she was around him.

Irritation, anger, playfulness, spite, timidness, friendship, tenderness, nostalgia, relief, desire,  drive.

The list could drop to her feet, much like the apprehension he'd tried to hold onto around her.

She found it admirable that he was so open to being himself while they were together. She appreciated that he was never scared to tell her how he felt, and that he was as patient to wait for what she had to say.

Whenever she would decide to say it.

So, as the sun rose to kiss the height of the horizon, she felt safe enough to come out and enjoy all that he was as he slept.

The bed whined softly as turned her body to face him.

His eyebrows were arched in worry, as if he were fighting off the worst kind of nightmares while his nose flared as he breathed.

As his grip tightened on her side, she watched his biceps move, some of his tattoos danced around his shirtless body as she surveyed him.

His skin held a small bruise on his jaw as she got a clearer look at it. His appearance before peeling into her bed last night was a blur.

It was mixed with his skittishness to fold into the dark, making it his mission to cast it as something to forget.

Yet she couldn't.