Unworthiest Hand | XLI

CHAPTER FORTY - ONE

* fair warning: assault (high degree)

"I sacrifice my life so you could live it."

- Joyner Lucas

JULES SAT UP IN BED, the satin chemise she'd picked out for slumber bore lace lining around the peeks of her chest.

It rested lazily on her shoulders as she held the phone to her ear.

The small whispers of rain in the distance were satisfying enough to make her keep the large window in her dorm room open.

It smelled of the cleansed earth, as if the water that fell graciously from the heavens was set to clean up a night full of trouble.

"I thought we made it past the introduction phase Raheem? I enrolled in Baldwin three years ago after being homeschooled through the Briarwood system." Jules confessed while stuffing a hot Cheeto into her mouth.

"I'm just curious, we only met each other this year. There's still a lot I feel like I don't know about you." Rah answered, "Besides, it's helping me kill time while I'm over here."

She groaned.

"When are you coming back again?" Jules set the bag near her nightstand, "Not that it's an issue, but having you here keeps me from having to turn on the heat. It's an awful long walk to the thermostat."

He chuckled, "I bet. I'll be back Wednesday morning, and I'm thinking I'll need tons of rest when I get there."

  She sighed, "Well sleep wasn't the activity I was hoping for when you'd get here. But I guess we'll skip the thing that leads to it."

The heaviness of Raheem's voice was hypnotic at this night hour. Jules would stall hopelessly to listen to it a bit longer.

"We can save that for when I have all my energy." He proposed, "Can't do no halfway shit with you girl."

Jules laughed, "Whatever; are we finished with the round of a million questions? Can we talk about something that would keep me awake now?"

She heard a pause on the other end of the line; most likely a sign of him racking his brain for more things to ask.

  He talked on, "What kind of business is your daddy into — you know, the kind that makes you so rich? He a wolf on Wall Street or something?"

  She shrugged at his oddness while responding slowly, "He has work in manufacturing and investments — took it on from my grandfather after his parents were murdered his senior year. Teddy mentored him, and trusted him enough with his daughter and his assets.