Fire + Powder | XXVII

CHAPTER TWENTY - SEVEN

"Shorty I'm there for you anytime you need meFor real girl, it's me in your world, believe me

For real girl, it's me in your world, believe me."

— Method Man

  MORNING SLID FROM behind the face of the night, her heavy yellow skin flushed with pink cheeks. The sighs from loaded buses and screeches from distressed tires caused Raheem's eyes to curtain open.

"Fuck," Raheem groaned as he rose to the sunlight.

He used one of his broad hands to cover the beam that etched a rectangle of sheer yellow across his face. His chain was turned backward due to his tossing and turning throughout the night.

The chill of an open window left goosebumps on his bare back — he'd shed his shirt hours ago after the heat in Carver hall was turned a few notches too high.

His feet sauntered over to close the window he and Marcus planned to open around 4 a.m. — as the choice of an arctic den over a wooden sauna felt better to them.

Marcus was still sprawled out over his bed, covers hung lazily over his limp body that was covered in nothing but grey sweats and socks.

Raheem cleared his throat before heading over to wash his face in the bathroom. The cold water gave him a burst of energy as he splashed the liquid onto his cheeks and forehead.

His gaze went to his reflection, water dripped down the sides of his temples as he held either sides of the porcelain sink.

He glossed over his eyes that seemed to hold more life and promise than they did before.

More Christmas carols rung out from the window, he smiled as he remembered his festive attempts on Jules last night, which led him to then think about his father's warning shortly after.

The display of teeth were now hidden by a barricading frown of his pink lips.

He huffed before making his way toward the open window and yelling an, "It's too early to deck the fuckin' halls man. Take that shit over to Parks!"

Marcus jumped awake as he heard the forceful close on the windowsill.

"Dammit Rah — my alarm doesn't go off for another half hour," he grumbled while rubbing his eyes.

"My bad, they're just so damn loud out there."

Marcus took a sigh before leaning over in his bed to pick up a watch that had fallen on the floor. He placed it on his night stand and then laid back to look at Raheem.