The Sweetest Flower | XXIX

CHAPTER TWENTY - NINE

"You see my tears, in the rain underneath it all, we're just the same

"You see my tears, in the rain underneath it all, we're just the same."

– Machine Gun Kelly

WHAT MORE WAS THERE to the sun? She was vain; she sat high above helpless clouds on her perch in the sky. She was the warmest in the cold, her presence too bright to have your gaze placed elsewhere but on her.

She was made for attention -- and my, how she handled it well.

Jules stared over at a lonely rose that sat inside of a glass bottle she used to burn taper candles in while she brushed her hair. A rainbow glare from the glass made an impression on the side of her dark skin.

It was lonely; but that's what made it so captivating -- so perfectly alone. Too many of them would take away from what it was, it would distract her from finding the beauty in that one rose.

And that's why she loved it.

It was because she saw herself, and somewhere in her mind -- she knew Rah saw her too.

   "Damn Jules, if you try to brush it any straighter it won't move," Ayden teased while walking around the room in a large t-shirt that covered her bottom half.

   "I'm just trying to make sure I don't have any fly aways, can't let a hair get out of place." Jules assured as she set the book down.

  Ayden sat down stomach first onto her bed. She cradled a bag of Doritos in her hand and plopped chips in her mouth as she faced her best-friend.

  "So," she started to ask, "You going out tonight with barista boy or are you going to be in here with me getting my locs re-twisted?"

  "Now correct me if I'm wrong, but is the same girl who twisted you up last time going to be in here — you know, the one I found in here under your covers? Now what would Marcus say about that?" Jules teased.

"One -- I got a new girl who's strictly about her money, and two -- the boy would probably salivate at the mouth and ask to join." Ayden responded with a laugh.

"Mmm, smart choice." Jules told her with a smirk.

"That doesn't answer my question Elizabeth Bennett," Ayden started to mock, "You going out with Mr. Darcy tonight or what?"

Jules threw her brush at Ayden for the comparison, "I don't know. I've got to call my dad and see if they've got everything in order for my uncle."

"I thought they were doing the whole spreading of the ashes thing," Ayden started to ask.

"Yeah, but I want to make sure I'm not needed for anything important you know?" Jules stalled.

"Like what Jules, holding the urn?"