O' Loving Hate | XX

CHAPTER TWENTY

"If love is a place I'ma go again — At least now I know to go within

"If love is a place I'ma go again — At least now I know to go within."

- Common

THE SKY HELD its breath. Red hues kissed the tips of amber tones as the shadows of clouds pricked the portrait of a pale xanthous horizon.

Wind battled amongst the sound of roaming tires and a few birds. Triumphant as it was, it swallowed the chirps of starlings and the screech of rubber against paved roads — making Raheem tug at his hoodie.

Another Monday found itself within his grip while he found himself counting his steps on the way to Blade's Boxing.

Determined, he wished to be early enough to not waste his morning.

He had things to do later, problems to fix that lie further than on the sheet-paper of midterms he'd conquer.

The weekend had him on the edge of falling far from his sanity. As he tried to make a friend of peace, he couldn't afford to slip beyond the concrete surface of his consciousness.

At least, not now.

He knew that sinking his knuckles into a bag filled of grain as sandy as his skin would release the tension that arose from listening to numerous rules from his father.

Don't go there

Stay here

Don't use this

Don't contact them

Don't walk there

He was exhausted from the do's and do not's and needed to make a decision of his own.

That decision led him to the doors of a small rec center for the youth that resided in Westdell and the students of Baldwin.

The dewy air smelled of rosemary and crushed mint -- the distinct fragrance of Blake's cologne meant he wasn't too far from the entrance. Raheem set his things down and proceeded to head over and grab a jumprope to warm up.

Old school rap sounded faintly on the speakers, just the way Blake liked it. Upon asking, he would always respond to Rah that "music too loud didn't allow you to think."

Raheem would always find himself smiling, repeating that "That's the point."

It's why Raheem got so wrapped up into music, and also why he'd bring an extra set of headphones to box with whenever he stepped foot in the building.

Music required focus while also providing a distraction, causing your whole body and emotions to mimic whatever tempo you'd choose. He loved having something so constant that understood him, something he could adapt to without restraint.