Stony Limits | IV

CHAPTER FOUR

"Every saint got a past, every sinner got a future

"Every saint got a past, every sinner got a future. Every loser gotta win, and every winner gotta lose someday."

— J Cole

"ALRIGHT man, check this out—," Rah spoke to Marcus, his best-friend and roommate since sophomore year.

Marcus sat in the corner of their dorm room, carefully flipping through his camera footage while trying to determine which shots were the best.

"Damn, man—another poem? If you give me one more imma have to cut off my ears."

"Don't fuck with me man, I'm trying to see which one to drop at Soul Cypher this Friday. You know, gotta' keep 'em wanting for more."

Marcus scoffed, "Nigga, you are a spittin' legend in there, they got ya' name on the walls. What else could they want?"

Raheem thought back to a plethora of Friday nights spent under dim lighting and a tin roof. The comforting arms of jazz and hip hop surrounded by wooden tables and leather chairs made his mouth nearly water. The heavy atmosphere often lulled him into his true form: a poet with a sharp mind and an even sharper tongue.

"Just give it a listen," Rah pleaded, his hand playing with the string of his du-rag while the other gripped a notepad.

"Alright bro, spit."

As Monday rolled around the corner, Jules found herself getting ready for an eight o' clock class: clad in an oversized black ATL shirt, its color fading by the second

As Monday rolled around the corner, Jules found herself getting ready for an eight o' clock class: clad in an oversized black ATL shirt, its color fading by the second. Her leggings hugged her small thighs perfectly, while she sported Concord Jordans on her feet.

Black Literature in America was her earliest class on Mondays and Wednesdays. Even though she had to pull the strength together to arrive on time, it was her favorite.

She walked around Baldwin's beautiful campus—the yard covered in honey and burnt amber colored leaves, benches sat in different corners of the large space. An open library stood in the middle of the yard, available to donate and pick up free books. Large buildings were placed on different sides of the yard, a handful of students lazily hanging on the steps of each building.