It Were A Grief | XLIII

CHAPTER FORTY-THREE

"Cause I think we can make it, in fact, I'm sure

"Cause I think we can make it, in fact, I'm sure. And if you fall, stand tall and come back for more."

- Tupac

  JULES HELD THE DOOR OPEN BY IT'S SIDE as she waited for Raheem to exit. She hadn't noticed that she'd made the instinctual move to let him out.

Though, as she stood next to the aging oak --- she realized that her mind was jumping the gun on her heart.

She was scared, as she thought she should be.

She knew nothing about this life. The little that she did would pass credit to movies and television shows that still never revealed the full picture of it.

She watched Raheem's mouth move, though no sound seemed to come out of it.

"Jules you've been standing at that door for two minutes and neither one of us is moving," He reminded her.

His statement snapped her back to the conclusion that this was real.

"How could you keep some shit like that from me Rah?" She yelled.

A few girls outside of the door chuckled a few, "what the fucks" as they passed by.

Raheem took the liberty to close the open portal to the aroma of flat irons and vanilla.

He now stood on the other side of her.

"How could I not?" He rebutted.

So many emotions ran through her mind.

Though one was a constant — fear.

One of the only things she could think of was being used as leverage in any sick type of ordeal after being associated with a family as dangerous as Raheem said it was.

Or, as his father didn't care for her at all, being as disposable if the time came to it.

She felt screwed, not to mention a tad bit manipulated.

"Let's run through this, huh? You meet me, push against every boundary that I have to get to know me and who I am, get close enough to make me fall for you, and then leave out something that could eventually risk my safety and sanity. What the fuck do you mean how could you not?" Jules asked.

The sound of footprints creaking above the ceiling filled the silence that stood in between the pauses of their arguing.

"I had to make sure that I could trust you with this, though I didn't think it would include you like it does now." He reasoned

"Even I'm not that naïve Raheem," she spat while going over to sit on her bed.

He started to walk toward her.