Chapter Thirty-Two: Shall I Stay or Shall I Go?

Nocturne - Chapter Thirty-Two: Shall I Stay or Shall I Go?

Rated - M (for suggestive adult themes, references to some violence, and coarse language)

o - o - o - o - o : Indicates scene or POV change

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha.

o - o - o - o - o

Rin and Kohaku led what seemed to be a catatonic Kagome into Sango's house. She did not protest or cry. She just walked placidly inside to sit. Her disbelief was apparent on her face as she processed the events of the day. Sango hurried over to her and put her hands on her head, running her hand through her hair like she would reassure a child. Inuyasha and the new woman, Shizuka, were still in the house, sitting close to the hearth in the middle of the room.

Why would he take her? Why would he do that? What should I do? Are they waiting? For me? The thoughts swirled through her mind like a whirlwind. She could not pick out anyone tidbit of information from that mental storm, so she sat quietly as her comrades conversed around her, their words unheard by her.

"Rin, Kohaku, what's happened?!"

"What's that fucking bastard done now? I knew it as soon as I saw him coasting out of here."

"She's not saying anything."

"Obviously, she's just sitting there like some rag doll!"

"Lord Sesshomaru has taken custody of Setsuna."

"What the fuck does that mean? Took custody? So, he what? Stole the brat or something?"

"It would seem so."

"She is his child as well, Kohaku. You cannot steal what is also yours."

"So? Is it a good idea to let that dick take the kid back to Kami knows where?"

"Inuyasha, are you suggesting that Lord Sesshomaru is incapable or unfit to raise his child should he choose to?"

"Well, if you want the kid to grow up to be an asshole, sure."

"I won't take offense to that because I know your dislike for Lord Sesshomaru."

"Aw, Rin, you're different."

Kagome looked up, snapping out of her despondency, "And you always know how to put your foot in your mouth, Inuyasha."

"Kagome! Are you okay?" Sango breathed, hugging her friend. Kagome smiled in her friend's arms.

"Yes, I'm okay. Sorry for making you all worry. I was just-just taken by surprise, is all. I should not have overreacted." She had taken all those who loved and cared for her for granted, consumed in her grief. For far too long had she allowed this to go on.

Sango's face turned cross. "Oh, no, Kagome. You have every right to be upset. If Miroku ever took our children, well... I think it is safe to say that once I caught him, he would be unable to create more. I would take away even his desire to try."

"Kami, Sango! I am their father!" Miroku exclaimed. He walked into the door with his four children in tow, carrying the youngest on his hip. He'd had a large sack slung over his shoulder and set it down by the entryway, looking about the room. "I see we have more guests," he stated impassively. The house was more substantial than most but not yet significant enough to host the people who currently occupied the main room. All sat around the room except for the now-grown Kohaku, who leaned against the wall with his arms crossed.

The young children all rushed about the room to varying adult targets. The older twin girls immediately began to accost Inuyasha and his new companion, which they treated like a sparkly new toy. The woman seemed unsure of what to do with the attention and shrank back. Inuyasha growled at them, which they largely ignored. "Go on, you little monsters, go bother someone else."