Chapter Sixty-Two: Apotheosis

Nocturne - Chapter Sixty-Two: Apotheosis

Rated - M (for extremely suggestive adult themes, references to harsh violence, and coarse language)

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha.

o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o

Sesshomaru had indeed overheard the Taijiya's words and took a brief moment to mull them over before making his presence known. He'd never thought much of mortals wearing him down, much less being at the Miko's beck and call. Her happiness was important to him, but it did not take much to garner happiness, just as it did not take much for her fury to flare. It was why he had acquiesced to her demand to remain in the human village, though a pitiful excuse as it was.

"Kagome," he called, dipping his head slightly.

His eyes scanned the slayer woman and settled on his woman. She seemed to wilt under his gaze, and Sesshomaru felt an unfamiliar urge to soothe.

"I'll let you two alone," the taijiya declared and hurried from the small hut with a tiny smirk on her lips.

Sesshomaru glared after the woman, hoping his annoyance with her uncanny words would feel more like disapproval or bare tolerance. The mortal had no cause to know his true motives. It would be the last thing needed for any to believe he had gone soft.

Once satisfied that the taijiya had gone, Sesshomaru sat beside the miko and took in her scent. She had the bitter smell he associated with guilt mixed with her usual heady aroma. It displeased him to add to her reverie, but it was a necessary evil. "Setsuna inquires after you."

Her rose-colored lips trembled, and she looked away for a moment before turning back to face him. "I miss her, too. How is she?"

"You could see with your own eyes if you would accompany this one back to our shared abode and abandon this hovel."

"And you know why I cannot do that."

"This one knows many things, yet I cannot boast to understand what goes through your mind."

"I've told you, Sesshomaru..." she started.

"Nothing." His word of finality rang through the room.

Her breath hitched in her throat, and the sheen of tears appeared upon her doe eyes. "I thought this would be simple," she said through dragging breaths. "I thought I could go home, and we could face whatever may come together, but I began to doubt."

"Doubt what, beloved?" He said in a gentler tone. His hand drifted towards her, hesitating before pulling back and sweeping a strand of hair over his ear.

He knew she had pushed him away from fear. He knew that she needed time, and time they had. But what cause had he given her to doubt? Doubt was nearly a foreign word to him, not a part of his vocabulary, for pride and experience guided him in all things.

Kagome turned, unable to meet those searching, golden eyes." I doubt myself. I doubt my decision was right when all it has brought me is pain and uncertainty."

He reached and rubbed the pad of his thumb across her chin, gently lifting her head to meet him. "You may face uncertainty, but you do not do so alone."

She threw her arms around him and buried her face into his kosode. "Ungh!" She groaned, her voice slightly muffled as she spoke into the fabric. "I feel like a complete moron. I keep freaking out over all this stupid stuff and running through everything in my head over and over again."

Sesshomaru held her, stroking her hair in a soothing fashion he'd seen her perform with their child. Kagome pulled back slightly and looked up at him, her eyes now somewhat red. "Why do you put up with me?" She asked out of the blue.