Chapter Thirty-Eight: Time Waits For No One

Nocturne - Chapter Thirty-Eight: Time Waits For No One

Rated - M (for suggestive adult themes, references to some violence, and coarse language)

o - o - o - o - o : Indicates scene or POV change

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha.

o - o - o - o - o

Time has a way of settling things. It moves for no one, always at its own pace, steady and sure, but never-ending in itself. Like anything, time has a way of feeling different for each who encounters it. For the impatient, it moves slow. For the zealous, it moves fast. For those with temperance, it can push on stoically.

Kagome could not fathom which group she may fall into. At any point in time, she felt her category shift.

It had been six years since she had first encountered Sesshomaru in a cave under a spell. It was magic that had turned both of their lives on end and pushed their paths to entangle. One may assume that their lives were bound by destiny, which may be true, for nothing happens without reason, even if it does not make sense.

In the beginning, Kagome had feared the retribution that their new nemesis, Fan Tsenpo, had promised them. Anxiety had her on edge for nearly a year. During that time, Sesshomaru had constantly urged her not to let her fear consume her. He assured her countless times that she had not only his protection but his love as well.

The land of the West was guarded by Sesshomaru, so nothing came in or out without him learning of it. He'd also advised her that a long-lived yokai would take their time putting any plan of vengeance into play. A yokai's idea of swift could be translated into something different in human terms. Kagome figured that might be true. A couple of years are nothing to a being that has lived centuries. That knowledge eased her fears somewhat and gave them the time needed to prepare for whatever may come.

As the months and years ticked by with no sign of their enemy, Kagome allowed herself to settle into a routine. It wasn't hard to do. The Sengoku Era was one of routine for its people. Daiyokai and their families were no exception.

Sesshomaru was a demon lord and had lands to maintain. Though he did not usually deal with humans directly, Kagome helped to bridge the gap. People trusted her due to her status as a miko more than a yokai who was beautiful and frightening to behold.

Most vassals assumed she was a retainer of the lord Sesshomaru, a servant, but that was to her liking. People had a way of becoming fearful or, at worst, disagreeable if they learned the truth. Much to Sesshomaru's chagrin, Kagome preferred it this way.

He had often attempted to convince her to dress her part as the Lady of the West, usually by bringing her clothes cut in the best fashion of the time, but she would turn her nose up at those items. They did not suit her. He would agree, almost begrudgingly, but yet continued to bring new items back from any journey. Kagome had developed quite the collection that sat unused in a spare room.

It had taken much more convincing for Sesshomaru to allow the people of their lands to even think of her as lower than her exact position. That was a much harder sell. It had taken nearly a year to wear him down, which was a fantastic accomplishment that in itself. Kagome had pegged him to hold out much longer.

Kagome's status not notwithstanding, Sesshomaru held steady with his opinion that his daughter would be held with the utmost regard. He refused to tolerate intolerance, which was a perplexing conundrum to deal with. She was to be treated with class and decorum, and any who did not comply would face the personal wrath of the Lord of the West.

Kagome had a secret thought that Sesshomaru felt regret over his younger half-brother's situation and his lack of involvement. It was something Sesshomaru would never admit, but it became increasingly evident in his actions. His protectiveness over their daughter could border on the extreme at times.