Chapter 57: Those Who Come

Nocturne - Chapter Fifty-Seven: Those Who Come

Rated - M (for extremely suggestive adult themes, references to harsh violence, and coarse language)

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha.

o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o

Kagome had always been afraid of unintentionally releasing her spiritual powers against Sesshomaru. There was no telling what would happen. It could kill him, quite possibly, as evidenced by Fan's scarred face. And that was only a fraction of her power. Thankfully, it only surfaced when she either drew upon it or her life had been threatened, neither option ever required for Sesshomaru.

The idea to use the "gift" and channel her newfound ability to heal as she channeled her innate spiritual powers was sudden and desperate. She prayed it would work. It had to work, she pleaded, holding onto the matted fur of Sesshomaru's pelt. She breathed in the smell of burnt fur and flesh, mingled with blood and another pungent scent, but held firm, willing Sesshomaru to heal.

A tug, more like a jerk, pulled at something within her. Her eyes were still closed as she held him tight. Maybe her silent prayer had been answered, and it was working. Whatever it was, it quickly left her breathless and exhausted.

Whatever it was, she struggled to open her eyes, they seemed as though they were weighted down. Firm arms supported her, she realized, cocooned in strength and the warmth of his furs. Opening her eyes she saw him.

Sesshomaru had reverted to his usual form. He looked down at her with a golden softness that pulled her in, and she felt comforted for the moment, however brief.

He looked no worse for the wear. It seemed that whatever she had done had worked, or at least he had the time to recover on his own. Either way, he was back, and Kagome allowed herself to feel. Tears filled her eyes, and she tried to speak. "Inu-Inuyasha...he..."

"This one knows." Sesshomaru moved her gently, guiding her by the arms as he stood up. He helped her up as well and moved to stand in front of her. Grabbing Bakusaiga by the hilt, he whipped the sword out in a flourish.

Fan Tsenpo scowled, annoyed by the tender display. He cocked his head to the side. "Relish this moment while you can, Lord Sesshomaru. Your time left here is finite."

"Hnn. We shall see." Sesshomaru used his left hand to push Kagome back. She stumbled at first and took the hint to get back and out of the way.

Kagome retreated, giving the two daiyokai some space. She pulled her bow from around her chest and gripped it. The feel of the wood under her fingers gave her some strength. She still felt a bit woozy, but her clarity was coming back to her, and with it, the memories she had shoved down. It made her feel sick again, but now wasn't the time to swoon. Not when it could distract Sesshomaru. She laughed in her head, knowing it would not. Sometimes he had a one-track mind.

The clang of blades was clear, ringing through the small valley as Fan and Sesshomaru began to trade blows. Kagome watched as the pair danced with lethal grace. Their motions were fluid and swift, almost hard to keep track of, which made what she needed to do more difficult.

There would have to be a moment for her to strike while Sesshomaru kept Fan busy, she hoped. But she only had one arrow left, and it was defunct, missing an arrowhead. She grasped around her back to her quiver, but came back empty. It must have fallen out in the chaos.

Even if she had an arrow, or 20, there was no way she would be able to hit such a fast-moving target, she realized and lamented. They were like hummingbirds in the air, flitting from place to place, all the while with the scream of metal upon metal.