Chapter Twenty Two: Silence

Nocturne - Chapter Twenty-Two: Silence

Rated - M (for suggestive adult themes, references to some violence, and coarse language)

o - o - o - o - o : Indicates scene or POV change

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha.

o - o - o - o - o

They walked along the path leading towards town. The trek was mostly uneventful and woefully awkward. Kagome did not know how to react around this man; Inuyasha. She had been so close to him and now felt further than ever.

Every day since Sesshomaru left, Inuyasha was outside her door waiting for her. He helped her with chores, played with the baby, and kept her company. At this point, Kagome would not be surprised to learn that he slept outside the house to keep an eye on her.

Could it be any more evident that Sesshomaru had asked his brother to keep an eye on her? The daiyokai could not have known how incredibly uncomfortable the entire situation made her. Or, instead, he thought to find the most capable person to watch over her, and that just so happened to be Inuyasha, her estranged companion. The irony of it all had not been lost on her.

Her situation was quite scandalous and would have made for quite the gossip if anyone truly knew. Thankfully, her friends were discreet over her situation, and no one had thought twice to inquire why the pair rarely made appearances together. It was just so strange for Inuyasha to be acting so casually about it all.

"Oi, Kagome!"

She looked over at Inuyasha, who waved a hand in her face. "You were off in la-la land and almost walked into that tree."

Kagome looked to the tree ten feet ahead of her and gave the man a narrow-eyed look. "A tree? Really?" What was he getting at?

"I'm just looking out for you," he told her, shrugging.

"Yeah, thanks for saving me from the tree. How would I have survived?" she asked with sarcasm dripping from every word.

"Well, you seemed distracted or somethin," he retorted.

Kagome sighed. She was distracted by thinking about him being near to her when she was trying to heal from their recent split. Being thrown back into such close vicinity when all of their issues hadn't been fully worked out was nerve-wracking. Yet, it wasn't all his fault. "I guess I have a lot on my mind."

Inuyasha scoffed. "Yea. You and me both."

She stopped and stood to face him, the infant on her back, blissfully unaware of the tension from the situation, yet watching with observant eyes. "Look, this isn't easy for me. With you being so close all of the time. I-I don't even know what to think...or how to feel...or what to say half of the time."

He opened his mouth to say something, but she put up a hand. "I get it. He told you to watch over me or something, but I don't need you hovering over me all the time."

His silence was answer enough. There was something that the brothers had in common. "Just give me some space. You can visit from time to time to play with Setsuna, but that's it. Let's just let this go...Let me let you go."

His golden eyes softened, and he grimaced at her words. "Kagome...I..." He shook his head, trying to choose his words wisely. "I'm not good with words. I do care about ya, I just... I don't know...This shit isn't easy for me either. It fucks me up to feel...at ease knowing I don't have to worry about pissing you off or making you sad or any of that shit."

She didn't want to, but tears began to well up in her eyes. To hear that it was easier away from her was a blow she hadn't expected but should have. She'd said the same thing, and here she was getting emotional to hear the words delivered out loud. Kagome quickly turned away so Inuyasha couldn't see her tears, though she suspected he could still smell the saltiness before she was able to wipe the evidence away with a swipe from her sleeve. If he sensed it, he said nothing.