Chapter Seven: Density and Denial

Nocturne - Chapter Seven: Density and Denial

Rated - M (for suggestive adult themes, references to some violence, and coarse language)

o - o - o - o - o : Indicates scene or POV change

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha.

o - o - o - o - o

Sesshomaru could smell her before she had even walked through the door. Her sweet scent was mingled with something markedly different, something that tickled the edge of his consciousness, a fact that he had seldom cause to use.

When she stepped inside, her scent emanating throughout the room and masking the sickly odor of the frail old human woman and Rin's clean one. It was in the moment that she was basked in the light pouring through the doorway while she held up the curtain that he knew.

His features were schooled into a mask of stoicism for which he was grateful. His disgust over the Miko's parturiency would have appalled young Rin, who seemed enchanted with the idea of the impending birth of an abomination, a further taint upon their father's honored memory.

The mere thought of the miko and his hanyo brother rutting together filled him with abhorrence. He was all too pleased when the woman rose to leave; until she flashed a look of defiance in his direction that caught him off guard. His hackles rose, and he sat unmoving while she spat her venomous words in his direction. When she stepped out of the small, confining house, Rin pouted openly.

Kaede grunted, "Hmph, that is odd behavior from her. Apologies, Lord Sesshomaru."

Sesshomaru waved a hand, "Think nothing of it, miko."

"Lord Sesshomaru, tell me more about your 'betrothal,'" Rin asked, pulling forward excitedly. She seemed to forget about the woman's exit instantly.

"Everything to be said has been said," he responded.

Kaede moved to find a more comfortable position, working hard to adjust herself. "Daiyokai Lord. Pray, tell thy thoughts for the young Rin. My time here is limited, and ye asked she remain here to learn of our mortal ways," she said.

"Miko, you seem to be implying that this Sesshomaru would take Rin with me upon my departure." He was growing annoyed with the questions from the older woman.

"Yes, Lord, and it has been noted that thy visits have become more infrequent as of late. Perhaps there is trouble in the west?" Kaede asked.

"That is nothing with which to trouble yourself. The affairs of the Western Lands are none of your concern," he replied tersely.

Kaede sighed, acquiesced. "I see. Then can it be assumed that ye shall not be returning for some time?"

Sesshomaru looked over at Rin, who sat quietly now, waiting for his judgment. "Rin must remain with her kind. There is nothing for her in the West. Once my intended arrives, any visits will cease."

"But Lord Sesshomaru!" Rin pleaded, tears instantly welling in her eyes.

Sesshomaru stood and looked down upon his former ward, now grown into a lovely young woman. His side was no place for a mortal girl. There was nothing he could afford her now that he had agreed to take the hand of a distant inu-yokai royal.

The yokai from the mainland held humans with disdain more so than even he had in the past. Any dalliance with mortals would be viewed with deep indignation and contempt, if not perceived as an outright threat. It was necessary to secure this alliance to ensure the purity of his bloodline.

"It is not my wish to upset you. There is no place for you, a human girl, within my court," he told her. "It is time you found your place among your kind." Taking a moment to consider his words, he added, "I will always value your companionship."