1- When Tom Boy Becomes an Understatement

^^Dedicated to one of my favorite authors on Wattpad~!!

hope you like my trailer that I made for this story over there---->

Sorry if it's bad quality..(:

Chapter 1-When Tom Boy Becomes an Understatement

Thud thud thud. I hear my feet hitting the ground in a repeated left-right pattern. The thrill of running gets me every time. I've only been running for a year or too, but it was enough to make me realize that we were made for each other. Staring at the ground and focusing on my breathing, I went around the track at least four times before I finally noticed someone sitting alone in the bleachers, staring intently at me.

I slowed down to a jog, curious. I slowly made my way towards the spectator. I thought it was a girl at first, but it was just the long hair throwing me off. The guy stood up when he saw me approach and stepped down each level of bleachers with a thud of his foot dropping onto the metal bench. 

"Hi, I'm Chase Renolds,” he said, leaning against the fence, the only barrier I had between us. His eyes were hopeful and his lips were tightened in a grimace. I frowned. He didn’t seem very happy to see me. If so, why was he here?

"Um. I don't care what your name is, I just want to know if you usually creep around watching girls run,” was what I was tempted to say.

Instead, I tugged my shorts as low as I could, which was still mid-thigh. When I was sure it couldn’t go any lower and that my v-neck was hastily pulled up to my collarbone, I answered, "Ronnie Lark."

He looked at me amused, his tight grimace transforming into an easy grin, changing his whole face. He suddenly looked younger and more energetic, which I’d find out later, was his actual persona. I could tell he was dying to comment on my new fashion sense, but I didn’t give him the chance. 

"What do you want?" I asked, hitching a hand on my hip as I stared inquiringly at him, tapping my foot impatiently. Sorry bud, but I only mind my manners with people I know. Plus, I’ve got to get running.

He cleared his throat uncomfortably, the grimace semi coming back. “I...I have a job offer." 

I raised my eyebrows and tried to suppress my excitement. Could he be a scout for some national track team or something? I carefully arranged my expression so that it looked like I was indifferent. "What does this job entail?”

"It’s a job at a school," He responded vaguely, breaking eye contact with me as he scuffed his dirty white shoes in the dirt.

I gave an exasperated sigh and gestured impatiently. "Spill it." I demanded, trying to repress the urge to throttle the man.

Suddenly, he peered at me, his dark brown eyes sparkling with a brief burst of courage. All seemingly in one breath, Chase explained himself with, "I'm the manager of Jordan Lores." He paused for a moment to see if I would have a reaction. I didn't. He went on, "Recently, he wanted to start his high school career again, and take a break from all the touring and concerts." 

He paused and glanced at me again, to see if I was impressed. All I was wondering was why he was telling me this. I could honestly care less. My face must have told him so because Chase continued quickly, “We paid a great deal of money to get him enrolled into Roller Academy, an all-boys boarding school, but he suddenly changed his mind after meeting 'the girl of his dreams' in Paris." 

I tried not to laugh at the fed up look he gave me as he bunny eared the ‘girl of his dreams‘ part of his speech. I mean, I shouldn’t be laughing... I could totally sympathize with him. Boys were such idiots and so... piggish!

“So what does all this have to do with me?” I asked after he finished, my feet itching to run again. 

“Well, I paid for two years of education and I’m not allowed a refund so I was wondering if you wanted to take his place,” Chase blurted before closing his eyes, waiting for the expected blow I was about to give him. He expected right.

I stood there, shocked for a moment before I started to laugh hysterically. Doubled over, I wheezed, “You’re funny. What is this, a reality TV show or something? ‘Cause if it is, you got me!”

When the laughter finally subsided, I glanced up at Chase from my new position on the ground against the fence and took in his serious expression as he waited for me to calm down. For the love of God he was serious. “What, you’re serious?” I asked, gaping.

He shrugged, “Unfortunately, yes.”

Before I replied to him, I actually thought about his offer. My parents were both in a coma after a nasty car accident a few months ago so I’m stuck at home alone. Everyone thought I was eighteen, I guess because of my mature looks, so no one thought about getting me another home. It’s bad because I barely have money for food so I can’t afford education, but it’s good because I’m living a teenager’s dream-- a house with no parents every night, including weekends.

I thought about the two years of high school that I was going to miss. I was currently studying for SATs and keeping up with Sophomore level workbooks for all the core classes required for school, and my dreams went from getting into a good college to actually being able to get a decent job. If I took this ‘job offer’, I could technically get two years of free education and get a high school diploma. I wouldn’t need to go for my GED. But then, something processed in my brain.

“Roller Academy all boys boarding school, did you say?" I asked, my voice rising up an octave at the startling realization.

Chase nodded sheepishly. "I wanted to offer it to other boys, but Jordan's girlfriend of the week was just crushed by one so he said no boy should be granted such an honor after they hurt his girl," he said exasperatedly, shaking his head disbelievingly as he thought about the kid he was managing.

Either this Jordan Lores kid was insane or he really was just an idiot. I looked into Chase’s tired eyes. I could tell he hadn’t gotten any sleep for a while. I thought about my mom and dad, safely resting in the hospital. Besides, this was free school. I needed an education. I wanted an education... was that too much to ask? No, it wasn’t, I told myself. I took a deep breath and said the opposite of what logic told me to say. “I’ll take it.”

What have I got to lose?