13 | again

━━━━━━ ∙ʚ♡ɞ∙ ━━━━━━━

Emma was feeling lonely, again.

She had been sneaking out her window every single day to see Ray but he had disappeared.

Again.

She had no idea how to communicate with him since she usually sneaked out at night, when all his siblings were asleep.

“Maybe I should come earlier next time.”  she thought.

But just in case, she sat down on the sidewalk, holding her yellow umbrella over her head to avoid getting wet by the rain, which had been appearing way more frequently, sometimes even resulting in storms.

Like now.

“Bam!”  Emma heard a thunder, making her flinch in surprise.

Misfortune had struck her once again.

She stood up, and put away her gamp, the rain immediately hitting her fluffy orange hair.

The girl looked up to the sky and sighed.

Life felt forlorn without Ray or her parents.

She ran through the flooded streets, trying to find shelter from the storm as soon as possible and in effect, she slipped, and fell to the slippery floor, injuring her knee in a slightly severe way.

Emma painfully stood up and locked eyes with a black haired boy who was standing in the distance, covering himself from the rain with a striped backpack.

He approached her and lent her his hand, she grabbed it without a second thought and showed the teen a beautiful smile, squeezing his hand a bit.

Ray’s heart went frenzy, he had no idea why he was feeling this way around her, as stated before, he couldn’t think straight when hanging out with her.

He returned a smirk, ruffling her apricot hair.

“Where were you? I thought you had died or something” Emma signed; she had been teaching ASL to Ray lately, and he had learned it extremely quickly.

Ray’s smirk vanished and he looked around, nervously.

“Hospital”  He responded in sign language, not looking Emma in the eye.

To the boy’s surprise, the girl placed a hand on his shoulder, as he had done before, to calm him down.

“Everything will be alright, maybe not now, but in the future. I’m here. Let’s make a future where we are happy.”  Emma told him through sign language.

Ray slightly opened his eyes in surprise.

She was right; Let’s achieve a future we want,  no matter how many times we fail we will try again and again until we achieve it.

aBut every good thing needs a start.

Ray did not speak to anyone if it wasn’t necessary, he didn’t open up, he didn’t converse. No unneeded words came out of the boy’s mouth, especially not to strangers.

But he wanted to change that.

“Emma.” he said, softly.

The addressed girl was surprised.

Had she heard Ray’s voice before? If she did, she doesn’t remember.

Nevertheless, now she has and it’s the most harmonious voice she has ever heard.

How she wishes she could speak once again..

She tilted her head in confusion as to why he had pronounced her name.

“Emma… could you.. Could you accompany me to the hospital tomorrow?”

The young lady nodded and asked at what hour.

“4:00 PM” he responded.

One hour after school ended, she should be at her aunt’s house again, learning and relearning several facts and techniques but..

She could come up with a lie, couldn’t she?

--

Emma had waved Ray goodbye and was now at her house, treating the wound on her knee, which had turned out to be pretty deep. She threw away the paper that she had utilized to clean the blood on her leg and tightened the bandage she had wrapped around the limb. 

Then she limped to her bed and fell asleep immediately, after all, she barely rested throughout the day.

Tomorrow was going to be a new day.

A new day with Ray.