21 | million words

My dear carrot-head, letters are a way of talking despite you being speechless, isn't that right?"

Emma smiled, incredulous. It had been so long since she last hear that stupid little nickname her best friend called her.

She continued reading the note, which, Emma though, was the shortest letter she had ever seen.

"I miss you and the kind of silence we share, the one that expresses a million words. However, our silence isn't the only thing that expresses a million words, as they say, pictures do too; So to keep our conversations speechless yet wordy as they always have been, I attach a few pictures of us."

There were five pictures. The first one was a selfie ,it showed Emma and Ray smiling and showing some peace signs, it was blurry and the quality was bad since the boy's phone was outdated .

The second one had been taken by Yvette, one of the kids at the orphanage who had promising artistic skills, it displayed the ginger and the noirette seating under a yellow umbrella, which belonged to Emma, and writing in a notebook. It was most likely taken from the second floor.

The third one showed only the girl, dancing of the stage, it looked taken by a professional which made her wonder how had Ray gotten that picture.

The fourth one, showed the boy when he was little, grinning at the camera with a book in his hands, it was an antique photo in black and white.

Finally, the fifth photo showed a child, probably from Isabella's orphanage, with a little cookie in a transparent bag.

A bunny cookie.

She flipped the page around, to confirm he doubts about the writer, and discovered that the paper was indeed recycled and had formerly been an exam. It had the names "Ray Caicedo" written on top and had been filled out to its extent. It was already graded with a full score and it was already singed by his mom.

The girl took the photos into her disposition and rushed to her dorm to get paper and a pen to work with.

Then with a glimmer in her eyes that she though had lost, she ran with determination back to the cafeteria and sat on the table.

She started writing her short, yet meaningful letter that had a small advertisement paper attached to it.

When she entered the academy, lots of her things were taken away because apparently, they were classified as "distracting" and that kind of things were prohibited, so she didn't have much to send the boy.. except..

Her conversation notebook.

The one that contained all her conversation history with Ray, the one that was currently her most precious possession. That's what she is going to give him.

She grabs wrapping paper, also recycled if you are wondering, and seals the package with transparent adhesive tape and many giraffe stickers of all shapes and colors.

Then, she signs the package with her, in contrast with Ray's, messy handwriting.

"And just when I had lost all hope, I met you once again, my dear cyclops "