28 | listen before I go

"We are here to conmemorate the death of two teens, Emma and Ray, whose lives ended when they got in a plane to go to their dream college" A priest announced in a gloomy voice

Unlike what most people would imagine a funeral's weather to be, the sun was shining brightly, like Emma's smile. Isabella, Legravalima, Don and unknown people, who had come because of the news rather than due to having an actual relationship with the deceased pair, were all standing around the two coffins in the middle of a funerary room, most of them with stern faces. Isabella sobbed uncontrollably, her son and the girl who she had considered a daughter of hers had perished and she was uncapable of doing anything about it, not now, not ever.

The priest continued reciting his prayers, however, to Isabella, they were unintelligible, she couldn't make out what they meant. The sense of grief she felt at the moment was overwhelming.

Once the reunion was adjourned, whispers and mutters filled the halls.

"Ray and Emma... poor kids."

"I heard the girl was mute! It must have been hard"

"I think one of them played piano"

The former mom chuckled bitterly, she couldn't believe that Ray and Emma had to die to be listened.. It was stupid, unbelivable.

All they had asked for was someone who listened to their speechless voices, someone who'd stay by their side.

But society is cruel and it has demostrated that only until someone dies will they start to listen.

Isabella walked out of the building the funeral had been hosted in, a bag hanging around her shoulder and fell to the ground, devastated.

"I loved you, my children.. I wish you didn't have to go.. I wish we were like a normal family, with no trouble. I wish I could've loved you normally."

And just like Ray's mother, the world fell apart."

"EARTHQUAKE!" Everyone shouted as the ground cracked and the buildings shook.

And Isabella just cried.

--

"Emma! Em! Wake up!" Ray started shaking the ginger awake. By the looks of it, she was having a nightmare, and a very bad one.

When she woke up, she hugged the black-haired boy, strongly.

She was trembling.

"Emma... what did you dream about? You can tell me, you know? I'll be here." The boy seldom saw his friend like this; she never let anyone see her vulnerability, not even him, thus why he was worried.

Nevertheless, as always, the ginger just smiled, even if she felt horrible, and excused herself to the girl's bathroom, which was somewhere nearby.

Once she came back, Ray tried asking again but she ignored his question and instead reminded him that their flight to their dreamed university, which thankfully had accepted them both, was soon and that they didn't want to be late.

Ray sighed and complied.

He trusted Emma but sometimes he felt she didn't trust him.

Or rather...

She didn't trust herself.