15 | sacrifices

•───────♡───────•

•───────♡───────•

Emma knocked on the door, waiting for a certain person to open it.

"Hello carrot head." Ray greeted in a snarky tone.

She had been lying to her aunt, writing notes about her after-school "study group" in order to go see Ray, who eagerly waited for her every single day.

That day in particular, they were hanging out in the library, reading some books about science or something; whatever it was, Emma already knew it. She wasn't locked inside her bedroom for almost an entire month on vain, was she?

They spent long, boring hours there.

Unlike the girl, who's only entertaimment was unconsciously admiring the boy's features, Ray seemed to be having the time of his life, silently getting lost in the words the books displayed.

Suddenly, he made an abrupt movement, frightening his companion, who looked everywhere for the cause of such a reaction.

And then, she caught a glimpse of it.

It was a tiny little spider, sitting on top of the boy's book. Emma looked at the spider and then looked at Ray as if he had grown a third head.

"JUST KILL IT ALREADY" he growled, protecting himself with a rolled-up magazine.

Emma started grinning like a mad-woman and then, she reached out for the novel where the arachnid was sitting and made it walk up her finger.

First, she observed it, curiously, she was trying to figure out what kind of spider it was. After a thorough look, she discovered it was a brown recluse, a harmless type of spider, really, she didn't understand how people were scared of them.

Subsequently, she got an idea.

She contained her evil smile and replaced it with a sweet one, then she placed the tinsy creature on top of Ray's wrist and slowly backed away.

"E-EMMA?! YOU IDIOT! GET IT OFF ME! " She laughed, while getting the spider off of her friend.

Once the bug was away from him and he had regained his composture, he slowly said;

"Emma.. Run."

The girl was genuinely terrified so she ran as fast as she could to avoid getting killed and Ray chased her for almost half an hour but in the end, he couldn't catch her.

Once they got tired, the pair sat back down on the library's desk, both trying to regain their breath.

The apricot-haired girl looked at her yellow wrist-watch and sheepishly smiled at Ray.

It was early but it was time for her to go.

So she did.

--

The teen was concerned about his friend.

She had been leaving earlier than usual, she looked fatigued too, no matter how hard she attempted to hide it.

Was he worrying too much?  Maybe.

However, it was understandable.

Emma never told Ray anything about her personal life, her family or even her school-day.

All she did was listen to others, almost as if she had given up on communicating.

He wanted to let her know that he is there, that she can trust him but he didn't know how, when or where.

He would think of a way, there must be one.

---

"Here is your salary" An old looking woman handed Emma an envelope, containing the money she had worked for. She carefully stuffed the recently obtained object into her white school bag, which had a pompom keychain attached to it.

Nevertheless, that wasn't the only envelope she had in her posession. There were five more inside it and they each contained a reasonable amount of money.

She had applied for six part-time jobs; most of them being about copying and writing, things she could do at home without taking the risk of her aunt finding out.

Then after a long day of work, she arrived home and inmediately started her intense study sessions, which ended around 4:00AM.

In conclusion, she barely rested.

Now, why did she do this?

Emma sighed, looked out through a small window, located behind her working desk and closed her emerald eyes, feeling the cold breeze play with her tangerine hair.

She had been doing all this work because she had a goal in mind.

A selfless goal.