14 | promise

━━━━━━ ∙ʚ♡ɞ∙ ━━━━━━━

Emma and Ray had arrived at the medical facility not long ago.

A nurse had told them to sit on the waiting room while she prepared the pacient, Isabella, for the visit.

Both of the teenagers were nervous for distinct reasons each.

The boy was frightened something bad might have happened while he was away since his mom's health was unstable and it could worsen extremely fast.

The girl felt uncomfortable with her surroundings. She recalled memories but they were all hazy, she could barely remember what happened. She remembered medicines, adults with worried and disgusted expressions and being in a car with a stern looking woman.

However, a nurse interrupts Emma's reminiscences to tell her and Ray that they could enter the room.

The room was a normal hospital room; the walls were as white as snow with a few  light blue details, there was a bed in the middle, covered by paper, there were numerous machines, emitting beeping sounds here and then.

And laying in the bed, was a woman, her hair black, like Ray's and her beautiful lips red as blood. She looked unhealthily thin like the rest of the boy's family and her features seemed uncared for.

The pair approached the bedridden adult and greeted.

"Ray" she spoke, in a soft yet weak voice, "You didn't tell me you would bring visits"

Her son noticed she was right, it had been selfish on his behalf not to ask the woman first.

His mother seemed to notice his anguish, so she said; "Don't worry, son. I'm sure your friend is quite nice." Now, she turned to the girl with apricot hair. "What is your name?"

Emma, unable to speak, rummaged through her brown messanger bag until she found pen and a yellow notebook, different from the one she had been using to talk to the boy over the past few days.

She wrote what she was asked to and handed the scrap of paper to the lady with an apologetic smile on her face.

"Mom, Emma has mutism." Ray explained.

"Oh? That won't be a problem then. I've had all kinds of kids in my orphanage long before you were born, Ray. Including deaf or mute children."

The woman proceeded to sign the words "Nice to meet you, Emma" and gave her a closed eyed smile.

"Since when do you know sign language, mom?!" The boy said, dumbstruck.

"I'm full of surprises, my boy."

--
Emma and Ray had been visiting the hospital every week, excepting weekends.

That day, Isabella's son had been sent by his mother to get water for her and the girl.

In that interval of time, the woman had grabbed the teen's hand and told her;

"Dear, I want to give you a mission. Ever since my husband, left me and Ray, my son has been keeping everything to himself, he is speechless like you. That's why, I want you to help him. I want you to make him as happy as you can. Can you do that, Emma?

Emma was taken aback, still, she grinned, her eyes filled with determination and said;

"Yes I can ma'am! I promise!"

And once a promise is made, it can't be broken.

it cannot be broken.