No Masters

The group of us make our way to the training room and it appears that it's been renovated. While normally it's rather empty there are now obstacles inside of it. 

"Here's the deal everyone," Ace addresses. "While you all are quick, and I know that well, you all need to be able to adapt to your surroundings. I've looked over as many battles as I could that you all have participated in, namely the three Ratings Games you've competed in, and I've learned your battlefields were rather flat. You've had many battles at Kuoh Academy, so I decided to use the layout of the courtyard there as a way to put some obstacles up. I did have to increase the room in size a little bit, but now there's more space to work with. This may seem like a simple obstacle course, but the truth is that these obstacles are more than meets the eye. Thankfully I was able to get in contact with Lucifer on Y/N's behalf, and he decided to be a gentleman and help me make these things hurt." He steps back and looks over the entire group of us. "Here's what I'm thinking, there are fourteen of you in this room to run this course. The three of you who complete the course with the fastest time will be allowed to take the rest of the day off. The remaining eleven of you will be put through intense hell until I say so. Now, who wants to go first?" I wasn't expecting him to get so crazy, but I can't argue that it's a good motivator, even though I would like to train with him as much as I can today.

"I'll go first." I look around the room and see Vali step up. "How hard could it really be?" Ace smirks at him.

"I admire your confidence White One. Here are the rules, no Sacred Gears, no weapons, no magic. You're only allowed to use your body, and that's it. That means no using your wings either, just what I can see right now. Time starts when I call it and ends when you reach the other side and push the button on the wall over there. You must make contact with every obstacle and if you skip one you have to start from the beginning, your time continuing as you do. Nobody is allowed to leave the room until all of the times are in, and only then will the three who had the fastest times be allowed to go. Here's a caveat I'm going to announce, if neither King is in the top three, then the remainder of you must fight the two of them until they are unable to move, again using only your bodies. After that point, the two of them will be healed and forced to train with me for another 24 hours straight, and should one of them pass out, then the time restarts for the both of them. That being said, if any of you hold back to give Y/N or Rias a chance to make it on their own, then all of you will be involved in that 24-hour training block. The enemies we're going to be up against will not show any mercy, so while we prepare to face them, I don't intend to either." The levelheaded Director I met before seems to have gone straight out of the window. I raise my hand.

"Not to be that person but I will, what are the chances that you think Rias or I make the top three legitimately?" He ponders for a quick second.

"Y/N, I'm fairly confident you'll be able to place up there, considering your skill in comparison to your peers." He looks over at Rias. "As for you, I don't expect you to even make the top ten. Whether it hurt your feelings or not, it's the truth." Rias huffs and crosses her arms, and while I feel bad for her I can't do anything about it right now. Xenovia inches closer to me and whispers into my ear.

"Hey Y/N." I look down at her. "Do you know what I'm thinking?"

"That we trusted a complete and utter psychopath?" Her lips curve into a smile.

"Not specifically, but yes. I think that we should do our best to get into the top three, that way we can go on that date you promised me."

"That's a good idea," I tell her. "I'm not sure how exactly this thing is going to be difficult, but I'm willing to give it a shot." I put an arm around her. "Do you have any idea where you would want to go?" She shakes her head. "Well, that's fair. Give it some thought before your turn starts, and then we can leave as soon as everyone is done." The two of us watch Vali start running the course. It seems relatively straightforward, almost like something you would see at a military training ground, but every time Vali touches something it appears that his hands are getting burnt, and even his legs on some of the obstacles. Even at the distance that he is from us, I can tell he's sweating heavier than usual. The farther along he gets the slower his body is moving, and his movements are generally more sluggish than usual. He reaches the end of the course and punches the button, once he does his body falls to the ground.