3

We have to spend the night at the Hilltop since it would take awhile to get back to Alexandria. I was in the room where I always slept in and memories of Rick flashed through my eyes. I felt tears but I can't let myself cry. I have to let him go, that's what he would want. The kids were in the bed with me, sleeping and Daryl was in the room next door. I slowly got out of the bed and walked to his room and walked inside. I saw him laying down but he wasn't asleep.

"Daryl." I said, trying not to cry.

"What's wrong Maddie?" He asked, sitting up. I walked over to him when he stood up. I wrapped my arms around him tightly and felt some of the tears fall. He quickly figured it out and held onto me.

"Why can't I let him go Daryl?" I asked, through tears. "No matter where I go, I remember everything we did. I'm trying to let him go but it's hard for me to if I keep thinking of the memories with him." I said.

"I know it's hard to let him go Maddie. You loved him and you still do. It will take awhile to move on." He said. "You can never truly get rid of the memories you shared with someone you loved deeply. It'll take time but you never know how long it would take." He said.

"It's been six years, I should've let him go by now. It's like my brain still thinks he's alive and he's somewhere out there. I'm trying to stay strong for everyone but I can't. No matter what I do to distract myself, I just can't forget. I don't want to forget him but I know I have to so I can let him go." I said.

"You can never forget someone you loved. They'll still be with you but you can move on from them. I know it's hard to move on but you will but only when you're ready to." He said. I smiled through the tears. He always knows what to say to make me feel better.

"Thank you Daryl. I love you." I said, looking at him.

"I love you too Maddie. You know I'll always be here for you, no matter what it is." He said, looking back at me.

"I'm glad that you're my brother. I wouldn't trade you for anyone else." I said, hugging him tight then pulled away. "I better go back to the room before the kids wonders where I'm at. Thank you again Daryl." I said, smiling with dry tear streaks on my cheeks.

"Okay, goodnight." He said, smiling back. I closed the door behind me and walked back to my room. I laid back down on the bed and closed my eyes, falling asleep shortly after.

It was light outside and I was at the blacksmith with Liam and RJ since Judith want to stay inside but someone is watching her. I gave Alden a haircut earlier and now he has shorter hair.

"How do you like the hair Alden?" I asked.

"I love it. Thank you for cutting it for me." He said.

"It was no problem at all. I cut my husbands hair and I keep asking Daryl to let me cut his but he keeps saying no so I gave up." I said. The gate then opened and Carol came through the gates with Henry.

"Mommy it's grandma Carol!" RJ shouted, getting ready to run her until I stopped him.

"Wait until she gets off the wagon and walks slightly away so you don't spook the horse." I said. He nodded and waited until she was farther away from the horse.

"Grandma Carol!" Him and Liam shouted, running towards her.

"Hey my little men." Carol said, hugging them both. I walked over and hugged her. "Hi Maddie. How are you feeling?" She asked.

"I'm feeling great. I missed you mom." I said.

"Still calling me your mom?" She asked.

"You did practically adopt me because you are like a mother to me." I said. "So, you're my mother." I added, smiling.

"Okay, I don't mind being your mother." She said, smiling.

"We missed you Grandma Carol." RJ said, pouting at her.

"I missed you all too." Carol said, crouching down and hugged them again.