~Chapter 16

"I had fun tonight." Erick says.

The girls and Brian are fast asleep, on the couch.

We finished watching toy story and now we're waiting for our parents to get back.

"Me too." I say, smiling softly.

I turn around and look at Sarah and Brian.

Sarah's arm is draped over Brian's body and their bodies are close to each other.

I smile at them.

They're the cutest when they sleep.

I turn to face Erick.

"Why did you parents ask me to come? Why couldn't you babysit Brian?" I ask.

He sighs.

"Brian and I aren't that close. Mami doesn't trust me with him and neither does Chris. They think I'm too irresponsible." He says, sounding slightly hurt and sad.

I put my hand on his.

He looks down at our hands, bewildered.

His confused green eyes meet mine.

"You are not irresponsible. If you truly love Brian you should be there for him and strengthen your relationship. Spend more time with him. Don't let him grow up without a sibling even though he has one, you know what I mean?" I say, pained.

I of all people would know that.

Aaliyah was a mess after she went into a slump.

She never came out of it.

She never confided in me like she used to.

She never spent time with me like she used to.

It was like she no longer existed.

It pained us all, but most of all, me.

I was the one who was impacted by it more, because Aaliyah and I used to be extremely close.

We were a few years apart but she was always there for me like I was always there for her.

Until she wasn't.

She was stuck and there was no way out.

I wanted to help her so badly, but I couldn't.

"Hey." Erick says softly, breaking me out of my thoughts.

His thumb reaches up to my face and strokes my cheek wiping away a tear.

I hadn't realized I was crying.

"Why are you crying?" He asks, his eyes filled with concern and worry.

"I miss her." I say, trying so hard not to feel the pain I felt at the mention of her.

I look down into my lap.

I shouldn't be crying.

She died seven years ago.

"Hey, look at me." Erick says, lifting up my chin to look him in the eye.

"Always know she's with you no matter what." He says, softly.

I smile.

He has no idea who I'm talking about yet here he is, giving me advice.

How sweet is that.

"Thanks." I say, finally gathering strength and courage.

I wipe away my tears and smile at him.