~Chapter 46

J E S Y    L O P E Z 'S    P O V :-

"Ready or not, here I come!" I call out, wandering through the park, looking for Brian.

I pass the slides and just as I pass the tunnel, I hear a giggle.

"I wonder where you are. Where could he be hiding?" I ask out loud.

He giggles again.

I walk back to the tunnel and peek inside.

"Found you!" I say, making him squeal.

I catch him in my arms and hug him.

He laughs contagiously.

Just then, my phone rings.

I put Brian down and reach into my back pocket.

It's Erick.

Why the Hell is he calling me?

All he had to do was park his car, what did he do now?

"Erick, how difficult can it possibly be to park a car?" I ask, rolling my eyes.

"Hello? Is this Jessica, as in Erick's girlfriend?" A familiar voice speaks.

"Who's this? Where's Erick? And who said I'm his girlfriend?" I ask, confused.

"This is Chad. I remember Erick from the surfing lessons and since I saw a contact labelled Jess with your picture as it's profile, I thought you were the girl I taught and since both of you came to the beach together, and flirted a lot I thought-" Chad starts, getting flustered.

"Chad, where's Erick? Is he alright?" I ask, beginning to feel worried.

"You might want to come check this out, where are you right now?" He asks, his voice suddenly urgent and serious.

"I'm in the park right next to the beach." I say.

"Great, then come outside, an ambulance is already on the way." He says.

My heart drops.

Please, tell me I misheard that.

"AN AMBULANCE?! Chad, what's going on? Where's Erick??" I ask, a horrible feeling washing over me.

"He got into an accident, Jesy. Please, just hurry up, I'll explain what I saw when you get here." Chad says and disconnects the call.

"Brian, come on buddy, it's time to go." I say urgently.

"So soon? Where's Erick?" He asks innocently.

I look at him guiltily, " I don't know, I wish I could tell you, buddy." I say, feeling sick to the gut already.

I pick him up in my arms and we race out of the park.

When I finally find Chad, an Ambulance has arrived and I see... Oh God.

Erick's car is wrecked and inside is my Erick, his head pressed against the steering wheel, lying unconscious and lifeless.

A bunch of paramedics are getting Erick out of the car and putting him on a stretcher.

Oh Lord, please let this be a bad dream.

"What happened?" I whisper.

"I was sitting in my car and I saw a truck speeding down the road and hitting Erick's car. He spun out of control with the car and before I could get to him, he was unconscious. I called the ambulance immediately and then found his phone lying on the ground. Your contact was the first one I found under 'Emergency contacts' so I called you right away." He says, his voice solemn.