Ch. 34 Skillset Assessment

No Cross content this week? Fine, I'll supply it myself.

This chapter. This CHAPTER. Been looking forward to this one for quite a while. At least the bottom bit. It's... well I'll let yall read it. It is a bit choppy, but I eventually will go back over it and revamp for the PDF version, plus I want to get moving with this fic since its about to get GOOD, so pardon the chop.

Onto the show!

Also where my fellow "former gifted children" fam?
Content warnings: Language, former gifted child burnout, feelings of inadequacy, self deprecation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arguing woke me up.

Again.

I felt like I had been here before.

Two days ago.

Except I didn't reckon it was over a broken plate this time.

Shifting in the large pair of arms that I instantly knew were Wrecker's, I blinked open my eyes and squinted at the scene before me.

Crosshair off to the side, helmet under his arm and a toothpick between his teeth, as Hunter and Tech faced off in front of him. Hunter's helmet also rested under his arm as the sergeant gestured frantically at the trail before him.

Not quite ready to tune in, I glanced up.

Wrecker was wearing his helmet like a hat again; I loved it when he did that. But I blinked in surprise at the moss laden branches of immense old growth spruce overhead.

This must be a short section of temperate rainforest. While magic leak environments were mainly caused by, well, magic, there were often logical effects too. Such as moisture from humid environments rising, condensing, and causing a great deal of rain over a certain area.

Such as this.

"Why did the trail fizzle?!"

Unhappy my speech understanding was back online, I focused back on the sergeant and engineer.

Tech, tapping away on his datapad, glared at Hunter. "How am I to understand how an ability given only to you works?"

"But it was right here! Shadow described to you what the clairvoyance looked like!"

Eh? How did Hunter get my ability after I passed out?

Hunter, visibly stressed, continued to gesture at the misty trail ahead. "Why would it have just vanished?"

Crosshair glanced back at me only to do a double take when he noticed I was awake. "Because we have our original guide back."

All heads jerked towards me. "Shadow!"

Quickly catching Wrecker's helmet as the man accidentally launched it forward off his head, I smiled weakly at the men as I repressed a yawn. "Mornin', boys." My ears then twitched back at Hunter's expression. "Oh no, not the glare of disappointment."

He groaned. "First, are you feeling alright?"

"Yeah."

"Good, 'cause I was just wondering what the fuck were you thinking?!" he yelled.

Oop, there it is. "I was not," I replied honestly.

"Clearly," Crosshair remarked, resting a hand on his hip.

Sassy sniper.

"Just... knew y'all were in trouble," I replied tiredly, adjusting myself in Wrecker's arms as I cradled his helmet in mine. "Did what I had to do to protect you."