Chapter 9 Part 2

The trip to Taris wasn’t too long to require a jump to hyperspace. Just a regular flight of several hours after leaving the planet’s orbital pull. Tex did all the flying while I simply helped to check the controls. Since Ensinon had been in Taris many times, we already had a landing space, according to Tex. Taris was a big city, yet now with the imperial government, it didn’t look the same as when I came here fifteen years ago. When we landed the manager of the landing space approached our ship. Tex informed him to be a friend. He was human, big-sized, and strong looking. With messy hair and a beard.

“Good to see you, T. What do you need this time?...”He paused as he saw me coming with Tex.

“Hello.” I greeted the man.

“Hi, are you perhaps Mira?” He asked.

I nodded. It seems Ensinon had told about me, at least enough for him to call me by my nickname.

“So it happened. Ensi warned me about the possibility.” He said with a hint of sadness. “They got them?”

My lips were trembling as I tried to suppress the sorrow. It was still hard to accept that imperials killed my friends so cold-bloodedly.

“I’m so sorry.” He said and hugged me.

I tried my best not to cry but it didn’t work when there was another who also remembered and missed them.

The man’s name was Bared. He and Ensinon were good friends for a long time. Whenever Ensinon came to Taris, he would always stay at Bared's place. I explained the situation to him. What had happened, how we were prepared yet ambushed by the imperials, and how I need help to recover my tapestries.

“Why are they so important?” He asked.

“During the time I was with Andra and Ensinon, I made those tapestries. It kept me occupied with something. I embroidered some important things on them. They were never meant to fall on anyone’s hands. Except maybe Jedi's. Not to mention they hold emotional value to me.” I explained.

“You do know that you might be a little late to go after them? They left…what, two weeks ago?” Bared asked.

“Eleven days. And before that, they made a stop here. Tex has their shipping info and everything. All we need is a terminal to Imperial database and he can find where it is now.” I said.

“Your tapestries might be on their way to Coruscant now,” Bared said.

“Not necessarily. The Grand Inquisitor said he had a matter to settle in Lothal. And he seemed very interested in it. I doubt that he would first go to Coruscant to deliver some tapestry and then come back to Outer Rim.” I explained.

“True. And if he is really interested in your work he won’t send it with someone else. But he might not either bring it along with him to Lothal.” Bared agreed.

“So I need to get Tex to get to a database and find the shipment that was used by him and learn where it is,” I said.

“I know a place that is connected to the imperial database. Many ships come there that need maintenance, so they hire mechanics. Imperial ships are among them, and they want the best. Some need the jobs so there is a terminal for droids to apply for work. I can take T there and pretend to be looking for a job. Then our friend can get in and search your ship.” Bared said.

“Thank you.”

Bared and Tex left quickly for the place Bared mentioned. He told me to stay in the hangar and wait. He said that there was a possibility that the imperials were now looking for me. So until I got a better disguise and clear plan, I should stay out of sight. Once they got back, it was all good news. The shipment holding my tapestries hadn’t left the Outer Rim.  It was now held in Garel. And had remained there. But now the problem was how to get there without being recognized by the imperial troops. Just taking a shuttle lift wasn’t an option. Though all I needed was credits to pay for it. The problem was when I would arrive. The moment I did, it would mean me being spotted for sure. Either in the shuttle or at the arrival. The place was under the Empire government. But Bared had a solution for that too.

“I have a friend, who knows a friend, who knows many people who don’t like the Empire.” He said.

“A bounty hunter.” I guessed.

“Why not? They know their way past the Empire.” He said.

“Fine. As long as they don’t sell me out first.” I said.

It took a couple of days to hire someone to take me there. And another couple to prepare. We had to sell Ensinon's ship to cover the cost. I wasn’t sure it was alright to sell it. But Bared reminded me that since I cannot fly a ship that big and he has no use for it, it was better to sell it to get the credits to pay the bounty hunter. Then it was time for me to go.

“Take care of yourself, Bared,” I said.

“You too. May the force be with you and all that.” He said and hugged me.

Tex made a few sad beeps and bumped itself into my leg.

“No, Tex. We talked about this. Where I’m going will be a dangerous and difficult journey. I may not be able to maintain you. Bared will take good care of you.” I said to the droid. Tex sounded even more sad. I gave him a hug too.

“Try at least to maintain yourself. This is half of the money from the ship. Use it wisely.” Bared said and handed me a pouch that weighed a lot compared to its size. I could hear the credits inside the pouch.

”You should keep these.” I said.

“No, like you said it will be a difficult journey for you. So, at least keep something to get food.” Bared said.

I took the pouch and gave one last hug to Bared before I left. The bounty hunter had already arrived at the hangar of Bared's workshop. Bared already gave some of the money agreed for my travel and said that he will send the rest when he will get confirmation that I got to Garel safely. My guide/pilot to Garel was called Tetsu, Tetsu Onyo. I understood that she is Mandalorian. Either way, she didn’t talk much, just confirmed that I was the one she had to take to Garel and that I shouldn’t touch anything on the ship.

After some time in the hyperspace, we arrived at the Garel system. We came out from hyperspace a bit earlier because I asked.

“Okay, so what is it that you want?” Tetsu asked.

“I want to hire you for another task,” I said.

“I haven’t finished yet the one to drop you here.” She said.

“But soon you will. I just wish one more favor before you leave for another mission or errand whichever it is.” I said.

“Alright, what kind of mission?” She asked.

“I need help to locate an imperial cargo. And if possible to get it back.” I said.

“What’s in the cargo?” She asked.

“My personal work. Two tapestries, taken by the imperials when they raided my home.” I said.

“And how will you pay?” She asked. I showed the pouch Bared gave me before I left.

“Didn’t your friend give that to you for something else?” She asked looking at the pouch.

“He gave it to me to use it wisely. It is wise to ask someone else who has the experience, to look and get back my work. If I do it myself I just get in trouble and no amount of credits is helping me there.” I said.

“Good point. Do you have any leads of the cargo?” She asked.

“I have just the crate number. As for the payment, you get half for locating it. And rest from bringing it back to me.” I said and bounced the pouch in my hand.

“It's a deal.”