In With The New - Home Truths

<pre style="line-height: 21px; white-space: normal; color: #444444; font-size: 15px; text-align: start;">Chapter 8

"Please?" I begged.

"No." Lexi snapped groggily.

"Pretty please?"

"No."

"Pretty please with a cherry on top? I hate going alone." I whined, hoping she'd give in.

"Acacia, I cannot adjust my body to your vigorous lifestyle by getting up at this Ungodly hour to come with you."

"Fine," I huffed. "I'll go without you."

My nose twitched as I pulled on my jogging shorts and trainers and took my keys and iPod. I left the house and slammed the door as hard as I could, hoping that it would annoy Alexis. It was 5am and I was planning on doing a 45 minute jog, as I usually did three times a week. I turned on my Nike + iPod app and played music as I began to jog. I decided to skim the blocks instead of going all the way out of my area. Five minutes into jogging, I got a peculiar feeling of being watched. Not wanting to break my pace, I continued to jog and chose to not turn around. 

But curiosity got the better of me.

As I turned the corner, I discreetly looked over my shoulder, whilst almost breaking my neck in the process to see a shiny black car. A car I know I've seen before.

Chris

I lifted the A to Z off of my lap and frowned. This was helpless. For the past hour, I'd been trying to work out London and it's routes, to see if I could get used to driving around without a SatNav. But so far, it was turning out to be absolutely useless.

I looked around my surroundings to look for any landmarks, while keeping an eye on the road ahead. A car crash wasn't exactly on my list of things to do. I spotted a few businessmen and women on the way to work, a couple of construction workers, and a woman jogging. Even though I could only see her from behind, she seemed extremely familiar. It was her wide hips and curvaceous waist that gave her away. 

I had completely forgotten about the road ahead as I continued to stare at her. I was about to follow her as she turned the corner, and I saw her look over her shoulder, directly into my car. She must have recognised the car- I had driven her to and from her house on our date. I turned the same corner and started to move my car at her pace. She attempted to stare into my car, but the windows were tinted. I unrolled my window so she could see me better. She removed the earphones from her ears and frowned at me.

"What are you doing here?" She asked, almost slowing down her pace. 

"No hello then?"

"What are you doing here?" She repeated, unfazed by my response.

"Trying to get used to London." I said, offering her a smile.

"At five o'clock in the morning?"

"I didn't want to get held up by traffic." I replied, feeling the compelling urge to remove my hands from the steering wheel and raise them in defense. She proceeded to look ahead and concentrate on her jogging. She gave me a side glance.

"Whatever."

"Can you please lead me to the nearest cafe here? I wouldn't be able to find it even if I tried."

"Sure," she answered.

"You're a life saver."

A few seconds passed before her eyebrows furrowed in frustration.

Well, aren't you going to let me in?" She questioned, staring at my door handle.

"Of course not. I wouldn't want to disturb your jogging." I smiled sweetly at her.